Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

PERTH ROAD, UNIVERSITY OF DUNDEE, THE TOWERLB51058

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 04/03/2008

Location

  • Local Authority: Dundee
  • Planning Authority: Dundee
  • Burgh: Dundee

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NO 39815 29882
  • Coordinates: 339815, 729882

Description

Robert Matthew, Johnson-Marshall and Partners (A F D Crawley, project architect), 1958-61. Charles Gray (Builders) Limited, contractors. 4th floor reworked 1999-2000 by James F Stephen Architects, Glamis. Fine example of one of Scotland's earliest constructed multi-storey towers sited on raised ground with landscaped gardens fronting principal S elevation to road. 12-storey with basement and roof terrace. Rectangular-plan, Modernist style tower on N-S axis with 3-storey and basement, horizontal flat-roofed wing incorporating further roof terrace and double-height lecture theatre projecting at E; later teaching wing to W. Reinforced concrete frame with facings predominantly of Auchinlea stone. Some faience tiles (vitreous enamel panels) with horizontal bands of glazing and cedar panelling. Cedar frames to aluminium horizontal sliding windows.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: principal SE elevation with entrance at base of tower incorporating steps up to deeply set replacement door and 2 window bays above rising through all floors; cantilevered bays wrap around SW angle at 4th floor; vertical sandstone band to right punctuated by small vertical windows; 3-storey wing at outer right includes cantilevered 1st floor below roof terrace and taller lecture theatre at outer right with double-height transomed windows at upper floors. Rear elevation to NW with timber-framed glazed doors under jettied canopy on simple pilotis. SW side elevation of tower comprises 5-bay window bands wrapping around angle at outer right, and vertical sandstone band at left.

INTERIOR: Tower: original room plan largely extant, including open-plan ground floor reception area with front to rear circulation, and university War Memorial, stair to W and 3 timber-fronted lifts to E. Internal accommodation comprises administrative and staff offices and meeting rooms with 1st floor Lamb Gallery and exhibition space, 2nd floor opening into horizontal NW wing, 4th floor (reworked) Principal's Office (former Senate Room) and 12th floor café. Hardwood doors largely retained, replacement timber fire-doors at stair; timber finishings and granite window cills. Some former lecture rooms have timber-lined cupboards. Some original urinals and toilet cubicles. 3-storey wing incorporates lecture theatre (former library), conference suites and administrative offices; square-plan staircase and small turnpike style staircase, both cantilevered. Hardwood doors, stair balustrades, handrails and trims.

Statement of Special Interest

Opened by the Queen Mother on 20 October 1961, Dundee University's Tower (formerly known as the Arts Tower) is a high quality, early example of Scottish Modernism adapting to the multi-storey style and, like the David Hume Tower in Edinburgh (see below), it was responding to the aspirations of the nation for its post-war Higher Education system. One of Scotland's earliest constructed multi-storey towers, it is set back from the road on raised ground and is unexpectedly unobtrusive. Designed to signal the entrance to the University, the Tower combines the vernacular elements of rubble and timber cladding, introduced by Matthew at Turnhouse Airport (1953-56), with new multi-storey design techniques. It is described by Glendinning as "The most fully developed example of Matthew's rubbly, timber-clad Modernity of the 1950s, before new interpretations of Functionalism began to surface in his office in the early 60s". Other key Modernist buildings by the Robert Matthew, Johnson-Marshall Partnership include the University of Edinburgh, David Hume Tower (1960-63) (see separate listing) and the Stirling University complex (1966-72).

The Dundee College was founded in 1881, and in 1897 it became part of St Andrews University, at which time it was known as University College. It became The University of Dundee in 1967. The Baxter family, owners of The Dens Mills, were significant benefactors of the University, and the Tower's east wing houses the Baxter Suite and Baxter Lecture Room in recognition of their generosity. Part of the later west wing, which has largely taken over as the teaching space, appears in the RMJM 1956 Development Plan.

References

Bibliography

RCAHMS Robert Matthew, Johnson-Marshall (RMJM) Drawings and Schedules Job 14 (1956-1961). Architectural Design Vol 32 (January 1962), p31-35. Ed Miles Glendinning Rebuilding Scotland The Postwar Vision 1945-1975 (1997), p180. McKean & Walker Dundee An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1993), pp33, 77. Fiona Sinclair Scotstyle 150 Years of Scottish Architecture (1984), pp 99-100.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Map

There is no map available for this record.

Printed: 29/08/2016 06:24