Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

DUNTOCHER, DUMBARTON ROAD, DUNTOCHER WEST UNITED FREE CHURCH, INCUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGSLB51043

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
30/01/2008
Local Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Parish
Old Kilpatrick
NGR
NS 48958 72656
Coordinates
248958, 672656

Description

1822. 2-storey, 3-bay, square-plan, Classical church with late 19th century gabled hall extension to rear. Painted render with raised, moulded and tabbed margins, angle and eaves bands, rubble to hall. Base course, cornice. Slightly advanced central bay to entrance elevation (N) with pilastered, corniced doorpiece with 2-leaf, 10-panel timber door.

Predominantly small square multi-pane coloured glazing. Piended roof with grey slates. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: good, original, simple classical decorative scheme largely extant. White painted walls with timber panelling to dado. Timber floor. Horseshoe gallery with decorative plasterwork to moulded balcony, supported on slender cast-iron columns with decorative capitals. Timber pews, with distinctive curvilinear pew ends, curved pews in gallery. Fine, large Baroque-style timber pulpit and chair. Boarded timber ceiling with linear moulding. Curved timber staircases lead to gallery. 6-panel timber doors.

BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: to N, E and W. Low, coped, rubble boundary wall, surmounted by slim iron railings.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The church is a well-proportioned Classical building with a good quality, little-altered, simple classical interior. The interior is especially notable for its fine timber pews and dominant pulpit and the finely detailed, decorative plasterwork to the capitals and front of the gallery. Constructed in 1822, in the then fashionable classical style, the church is a simple, pared-back interpretation of the form. It is a good example of a provincial church of the period. It is a distinctive feature in the streetscape and is one of the few buildings of the period within Duntocher.

The history of the congregation dates back to 1779, when members from 2 local churches formed the Duntocher Presbyterian Church. A rift in the church in 1799 split this congregation, and some moved out of the building to worship in the local meal loft. In 1802, the local mill owner gifted land to build a larger church and by 1822, this present church, originally Duntocher United Associate Church had been built with accommodation to seat 608 people. The building cost £1200 and the first ordained minister was a Rev John Stark in 1860.

It became Duntocher West United Free Church in 1977.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, (1858-61). J Gifford & F A Walker, Stirling and Central Scotland, 2002, p456. Other information courtesy of church members.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DUNTOCHER, DUMBARTON ROAD, DUNTOCHER WEST UNITED FREE CHURCH, INCUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/08/2022 23:17