Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

KING STREET, FORMER SCHOOL TO SOUTH OF ST ANDREWS CATHEDRALLB50948

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
27/07/2007
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 94486 6443
Coordinates
394486, 806443

Description

Alexander Ellis, dated 1865. 2-storey, 6-bay, roughly T-plan former Episcopalian School situated behind King Street in confined site next to St Andrews Cathedral (see separate listing). Coursed and snecked granite rubble, dry dash to E and S. Later, lower 20th century extension to re-entrant angle to SE.

N elevation with 6-panel timber former entrance door to far left with tall 4-light fanlight above. Central commemorative plaque (see Notes) with decorative date plaque below.

Predominantly 24-pane timber windows with dominant timber mullion and transom to ground. Bipartite round-arched multi-pane casement windows to upper storey. Grey slates. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Coped gable and ridge stacks. Coped skews and skew-putts.

INTERIOR: original room plan largely extant, comprising 2 large rooms with open-frame timber roof. Some Classical fire surrounds. Timber flooring. Timber dog-let stair. Some timber dado panelling. 2 and 4-panel timber doors. Some smaller rooms with glass and timber screens.

Statement of Special Interest

This pre-1872 Education Act former School was built by local architect Alexander Ellis and is notable for its unusual glazing pattern and near-intact interior. It lies immediately to the South of St Andrew's Episcopal Cathedral, for which it was the denominational school and it is approached by pends from both King Street and Castle Street.

Alexander Ellis (1830-1917) was an Aberdeen architect who worked mainly in Aberdeen and the North-East of Scotland. He formed a partnership with R G Wilson from 1869-1896 and together they designed many public and private buildings in Aberdeen, including the Station Hotel and Victoria Buildings (see separate listings).

The school, for both boys and girls, was founded in 1865 on ground bequeathed by the head beadle of the church, John Rough. This is commemorated on the plaque on the North elevation. The school was distinguished by its good results and teaching from the beginning and it was soon overcrowded with 480 pupils by the late 1880s. The running costs, however, were often difficult for the church to maintain and the Education Bill of 1919 transferred the running of Denominational schools to the Local Authority. The costs to the Church were still high, however, and in 1938 the pupils amalgamated with the pupils of St Margarets School in the Gallowgate and the School was subsequently closed on 1st July of that year.

The Commemorative plaque on North elevation has the inscription: JOHN ROUGH (OBIIT APRIL 6 1860) BEQUEATHED THIS SITE WITH THE SUM OF TWO HUNDRED POUNDS STG TOWARDS BUILDING THESE SCHOOLS.

The building is currently commercial premises (2006).

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1899-1901). Connie Leith, Alexander Ellis, A Fine Victorian Architect, 1999 pf11. Information courtesy of local archivist for the Scottish Episcopal Church.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KING STREET, FORMER SCHOOL TO SOUTH OF ST ANDREWS CATHEDRAL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/05/2020 00:40