Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

60 FREDERICK STREET, WAREHOUSELB50945

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
27/07/2007
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 94553 6581
Coordinates
394553, 806581

Description

Mid 19th century. 3-storey and attic, tall, M-gabled former granary (commercial premises 2006) with principal elevation to Frederick Street (N). Snecked, coursed granite rubble. Regularly spaced rectangular window openings, some infilled. N elevation with 2-leaf timber entrance door to left with multi-paned fanlight above and commemorative plaque to right (see Notes). Later 20th century extensions to E and W.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows to street elevation, replacement windows to rear. Grey slates. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Small coped stacks to gable apices to N.

INTERIOR: original floor-plan largely extant. Timber flooring with plated, flanged cast-iron columns supporting timber joists. Lift and lift shaft to E with metal concertina doors.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a rare survival of a good mid 19th century granary warehouse. Situated in a residential and commercial area of Aberdeen city centre, away from the immediate harbour area it is evidence of the industrial history of the wider city. Warehouses are an important part of Aberdeen's commercial and social history. Examples outwith the immediate harbour are particularly rare. The warehouse is particularly distinguished by its M-gable roof which adds significantly to the streetscape of the surrounding area. The interior of the building has retained its timber flooring and original cast-iron columns. The flanges to the columns would have allowed partitions to be slotted between each column, creating smaller spaces for easier grain storage.

The commemorative plaque reads 'The Former Grainstore of John Forbes White 1831-1904) Merchant. Pioneer photographer and patron of the arts.' White was an Aberdeen flour and corn merchant who became president of the British and Irish Association of Millers in 1888. He had an illustrious career and was also a generous art patron.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1866-8). Commemorative plaque on wall to Frederick Street. Other information from www.aberdeencity.gov.uk

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 60 FREDERICK STREET, WAREHOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/05/2020 02:59