Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

49 CARMELITE STREET, FORMER WAREHOUSELB50933

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
27/07/2007
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 94143 6044
Coordinates
394143, 806044

Description

Ellis & Wilson, 1883. 3-storey and basement, 3 x 4 bay Classical former warehouse situated on corner site with distinctive, decorative 3-light curved corner bay. Currently office with disused flats above (2006). Tooled grey granite, some ashlar dressings, rock-faced to basement. Band courses, cill courses, cornice, coped parapet. Advanced, flat-roofed entrance porch to S with off-centre 4-panel timber door with swan-necked pedimented doorpiece.

Corner bay to SW with flanking decorative carved pilasters at each storey with paired consoles to 1st and top storey. Carved classical motifs including roundels and swags below eaves cornice. Central tall decorative curvilinear wallhead panel with decorative urns above. Incised pilasters divide window bays.

Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows, some vertically-aligned 6-panes. Some windows boarded up. Grey slates. Gable stacks.

INTERIOR: partly seen (2006). Ground floor comprehensively modernised.

Statement of Special Interest

This former warehouse is located on a prominent corner site close to the railway station. The decorative curved corner is particularly well-detailed and adds significant value to the streetscape with its variety of low-relief carved classical motifs. This detailing continues Aberdeen's tradition of Classical design for its city centre buildings. Warehouses were critical to Aberdeen's mercantile history and many were located near the harbour area. This warehouse lies closer to the Railway and is likely to have held goods moving to and from the station. It was situated directly opposite Hadden's Woollen Factory and may have been constructed to store wool or cloth. Only a handful of warehouses remain and these are an increasingly important part of the character of the city.

Alexander Ellis and Robert Wilson were Aberdeen architects who were in practice together from 1869-1906. They worked extensively in and around Aberdeen and their output included, in the main, houses, churches and other large office buildings.

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1899-1901). Connie Leith, Alexander Ellis, A Fine Victorian Architect, 1999, p96.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 49 CARMELITE STREET, FORMER WAREHOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 10:39