Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

DRINKING FOUNTAIN, QUEEN'S PARK ROADLB50903

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
04/07/2007
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Burgh
Stirling
NGR
NS 79006 93199
Coordinates
279006, 693199

Description

Late 19th century/early 20th century. Low, green painted, cast iron pillar drinking fountain with attached dog bowl. Set on square stone base. Fluted column with moulded base, lionhead mask water spout below roll moulded cornice with ribbed knob to left. Fluted and domed cap with acorn finial. Engraved at base (see Notes).

Statement of Special Interest

Retaining its original dog bowl, domed cap and ribbed knob to the side, this a good and near intact example of a once common public utility. It is the best and most complete example of one of 4 similar pillar drinking fountains situated at regular intervals to the South and East of King's Park. It is engraved with the makers name on the base, although this is difficult to read, but is likely to be 'GLENFIELD COY LIMITED KILMARNOCK'.

This design appears without the dog bowl as Fig D1, in the 1916 Glenfield & Kennedy Catalogue.

Glenfield and Kennedy was formed in 1899 as a merger of the Glenfield Co Ltd (founded in 1865) and Kennedy Patent Water Meter Co Ltd (formed in 1863). They were based in Kilmarnock and their water fountains were found throughout Scotland.

The knob on the side if the fountain operated an internal valve which controlled the supply of water which then flowed out via the lionhead spout.

Public water fountains became increasingly popular throughout Britain from the mid 19th century as a means of providing readily accessible clean drinking water ' a commodity that was not

formerly easily obtainable. The Metropolitan Free Drinking Fountain Association, founded in 1859 was formed to promote the erection of these fountains, and it joined with the RSPCA in 1867 to promote free drinking water for cattle horses, and dogs.

The fountain no longer functions (2007).

References

Bibliography

3rd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1913-14). www.scottishironworks.org Glenfield and Kennedy Catalogue, September 1916.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DRINKING FOUNTAIN, QUEEN'S PARK ROAD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/09/2020 03:46