Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

PITKELLONY HOUSELB50898

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
13/06/2007
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Parish
Muthill
NGR
NN 86515 16830
Coordinates
286515, 716830

Description

Probably 1670, much extended; NE wing dated 1850, possibly by George Penrose Kennedy (see Notes); remodelled by George Turnbull Ewing, circa 1880; renovated after 1991 fire. Early crowstepped, 3-storey and basement, irregular T-plan Tower House and tall 2-storey Victorian wing, now estate office for Drummond Castle with similarly-detailed single-storey with attic and 2-storey SW wing as dwelling and office. Dominant stair tower, priest's hole and unusual 3-part stair window. Snecked boulder and squared rubble and some dry-dash. Stone mullions, chamfered ashlar margins and moulded pedimented windowheads breaking eaves, some ball-finialled and with relief carving.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: entrance elevation to SW incorporating 3'storey block with projecting gabled stair tower to approximate centre, 2 set-back bays at left behind single storey flat-roofed porch with re-used monogrammed lintel dated 1670, and further bay to right. Projecting gabled bay at outer right with gablehead pediment finial dated '1850' with initials 'DPK'. Later single storey and attic piend-roofed bay projecting from 2-storey L-plan wing with corbelled rounded angle at outer left angle. NE elevation with irregularly-fenestrated early bays set-back at right incorporating vertical 3-part window (lighting later stair but apparently of early date) giving way to single window with carved pediment bearing '1670' date and initials 'ID' flanking crest.

Plate glass glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks, some with cans. Ashlar coped crowstepped (some lead clad) with beak skewputts

INTERIOR: some interesting detail retained including plain cornices, 6-panelled timber doors, stone and marble fireplaces. Porch with decoratively-tiled floor and part-glazed screen door with flanking lights. Evidence of turnpike stair in stair tower with vaulted rounded chamber at 1st floor, and adjacent small vaulted chamber (possibly priest's hole); later dog-leg staircase with barley twist balusters, those above ground floor of earlier date with fine decorative detail. Victorian wing with fine timber soffits and panelled shutters, marble fire surround with horseshoe grate and flanking roundheaded niches (1 now with window).

Statement of Special Interest

B Group with Walled Garden and Thornhill House with East Gate and ancillary buildings.

Pitkellony is sited on raised ground overlooking the village of Muthill just a few miles south of Drummond Castle. The earliest fabric probably dates to the 17th century as evidenced by two datestones and stylistic detail. Repairs after a serious fire in 1991, which resulted in the destruction of possibly a Victorian extension, led to the discovery of what is thought to be a priest's hole adjacent to the original spiral stair. Although extended and altered the house retains much character and evidence of its early origins. The crowstepped gables and pedimented windowheads are characteristic of fine architecture of the 17th century.

The Drummonds of Pitkellony probably descend from Duncan Drummond, younger son of Malcolm Drummond, fourth son of Sir John Drummond of Concraig. The lands of Pitkellony were purchased from Sir William Bruce of Airth during the 15th century, and passed to John Drummond circa 1560. Pitkellony is sited on raised ground overlooking the village of Muthill just a few miles south of Drummond Castle. The house probably dates from the 17th century but the lands of Pitkellony were purchased from Sir William Bruce of Airth during the 15th century. An early castle was sited in a field to the south of the current house. John Drummond (the 9th of Pitkellony) married Catherine, daughter of Sir John Colquhon of Luss, in 1659. He was a Lieutenant in the Earl of Atholl's Regiment of Foot, and in 1668 was appointed Steward Depute of Strathearn and Commissioner of Justice in the Highlands. Presumably this post would have been well rewarded financially and may have provided the impetus for erecting the new house at Pitkellony. Lewis Kennedy (1721-82), the famous landscape gardener who set up Vineyard Nurseries in Hammersmith circa 1745, was the great grandfather of Lewis

Kennedy who had, by 1822, set up a base at Pitkellony House and, either then or soon after, became factor to the Drummond Estate, with the house now partly converted to an estate office. With his wife, Harriet Sewell Mitton, Kennedy raised six children at Pitkellony, John Eugene (born 1819) succeeded his father as factor, and George Penrose (born 1821) became an architect. It is possible that George was responsible for the 1860 wing which bears the initials DPK, D (Drummond) and PK (Penrose Kennedy). The name of Lewis Kennedy is connected with the grotto situated in parkland immediately to the south east of the main entrance. The Kennedy family remained at Pitkellony until 1877 when John was dismissed. Their successor, George Turnbull Ewing began remodelling Drummond Castle in 1878 his son, Charles Turnbull Ewing, was educated at Morrison's Academy in nearby Crie ff. Charles also became an architect and joined his father's practice. The house remains as the Drummond Castle Estate Office to the and present day (2007).

References

Bibliography

1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey maps (1859-64 and 1894). Walker Dictionary of Scottish Architects www.codexgeo.co.uk/dsa. www.perthshireheritage.co.uk. Information courtesy of Drummond Castle Estate factor.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PITKELLONY HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/10/2019 17:27