There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 16/05/2007
- Local Authority: East Dunbartonshire
- Planning Authority: East Dunbartonshire
- Burgh: Bearsden
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 5351 7197
- Coordinates: 253510, 671970
Later 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay simple Classical house now forming part of Scotus College, with single storey and attic former servants' wing adjoining to NW and later alterations and additions including modern conservatory to N linking to later 20th century building. Fine interior with quality timber work and notable public rooms. Squared and snecked sandstone. Base course, deep overhanging band. Deep modillioned eaves.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: shallow steps to single storey flat-roofed Doric-columned entrance portico with pierced parapet to re-entrant corner at SE. Canted bay windows, wide round bay-window to W with pierced parapets. Bipartite and tripartite window openings with stone mullions, some with hoodmoulds. Pierced balconies to some 1st storey windows. Pair of pedimented dormers to servants' wing.
Predominately plate glass timber sash and case windows; multi-pane to former servants' wing. Grey slates. Corniced gable, wallhead and ridge stacks with decorative hexagonal cans.
INTERIOR: (seen 2007). Original room plan largely extant. Fine carved decorative timberwork throughout, especially to ground floor. Glass and timber entrance screen flanked by timber panels and sidelights. Timber panelling to hall and dado height panelling to public rooms. Semi-enclosed open-well staircase with timber balusters and handrail and square-plan newels; circular opening overlooking hall. Large, intricately carved timber chimneypieces to hall, and public rooms; one to hall with barley sugar twist piers; one flanked by niches with decorative painted glass to rear; others with overmantels. Decorative plaster cornicing, ceiling roses and plasterwork. One decorative timber ceiling. Contrasting marble panelling to bathrooms. Deep-set, architraved timber doors, some 4-panelled, others with oval pattern in timber and coloured glass. Working timber shutters. Some simple, classical fire surrounds. Some simple stained glass.
ARCHWAY AND FORMER STABLE BLOCK: to N. Single storey and attic former stable block with attached single storey 2-bay cottage to W. Tooled, squared and snecked sandstone. Large openings with part-glazed boarded timber doors. Pedimented loft opening breaks eaves. Pair of small glazed and louvred round-arched attic window openings to E. Coped skews and skew-putts. Deep, modillioned eaves. Grey slates. Adjoining wall to SE with large, roll-moulded, round-arched opening and blank shield motifs.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: to E. Coped rubble. Lower curved sections with decorative iron railings at entrance. Pair of polygonal-plan gatepiers with base courses, string courses and decorative low polygonal capstones. Each with 'CHESTERS' inscription.
Statement of Special Interest
Now known as Scotus College, this late 19th century former private house is particularly notable for its excellent interior. There is much quality timberwork throughout the principal ground floor rooms, such as the intricately carved chimneypieces, timber panelling and fine staircase. It is a good surviving example of the type of opulent and ornate interior which was popular in the more affluent households of the mid to late Victorian period. The associated stable block is well constructed, using the same materials and stone treatment as the house. Its attached round-arched entrance screen is of interest and adds a sense of grandeur to the courtyard area.
The exact date of the house is not yet known, although records suggest that it was erected by a Robert Henderson in 1873. It was initially know as Ledcameroch West although the name had been changed to Chesters by 1880. The owners of the house in 1880 were James and Eliza Kennedy - James was a timber merchant. The house was gifted to the Royal College of Science and Technology in 1952 and was a residential management college until it was purchased by the Roman Catholic Diocese in 1984. It became the National Seminary for Scotland in 1993.
2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1894-8). Mary McHugh, Chesters, history pamphlet, 1985. John Gifford and Frank Arneil Walker, Buildings of Scotland, Stirling and Central Scotland, 2002, p218.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.