Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

GRANGEMOUTH DOCK, FORMER WORKSHOP BUILDINGLB50868

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
27/04/2007
Local Authority
Falkirk
Planning Authority
Falkirk
Burgh
Grangemouth
NGR
NS 92609 82586
Coordinates
292609, 682586

Description

Late 19th Century. Symmetrical, 11-bay rectangular-plan workshop with 2-storey 3-bay pedimented-gabled block to centre and flanking 4-bay wings with end gables. Scotch-bonded red brick with ashlar window cills and copes. Corbelled brick eaves course and banding to pediment. Round-arched windows and doors; shallow brick pilasters dividing bays to wings; oculi windows to apexes of end gables.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: raised brick architrave to centre with timber door; clock face to centre of pediment. 2-leaf timber-boarded doors to vehicle entrance to W elevation. Some openings to rear elevation partially infilled; segmental-arched hoist door at first floor to centre.

INTERIOR: simple cornicing and ceiling roses visible through upper floor openings.

Some surviving small-pane glazing in timber-framed fixed-pane windows. Grey Scottish slate. Ashlar skews and skewputs.

Statement of Special Interest

Brick built with classical detailing, this symmetrical former smithy/workshop is one of the very few surviving examples of 19th industrial building within the Grangemouth dock area. It is situated on an open parcel of land between the former principal lock entrance to the Forth and Clyde canal, the 'Old Dock' (1843 - now disused) and the banks of the River Carron. The Forth and Clyde canal was the world's first sea-to-sea ship canal. It now enters the River Carron a few miles West of Grangemouth. The workshop is first depicted on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (1899) surrounded by further smithy buildings. A building with a similar plan form is depicted at the same location on the 1st edition map of 1869. Evidence of former ridge stacks remains at the E and W intersections of the single and 2-storey sections. The building lies in close proximity to a B-listed single span swing bridge (see separate listing).

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1899); Bruce Lenman, From Esk to Tweed (1975); Further information courtesy of John R Hume.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GRANGEMOUTH DOCK, FORMER WORKSHOP BUILDING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 16:47