Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

KILMUN, SHORE ROAD, ANCHORAGE, ARDMUN, FOUNTAIN VILLA, HEATHBANK, LOCHVIEW AND WOODBURN (THE TEA CADDIES) INCLUDING OUTBUILDINGS, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATESLB5065

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
22/11/1973
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Parish
Dunoon And Kilmun
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NS 16915 81872
Coordinates
216915, 681872

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

These six houses, originally identical, were built in c1828 by David Napier, who was largely responsible for opening up Kilmun, Strone and Blairmore as a resort by building a pier and running steamboat routes direct from Glasgow. The 'Tea Caddies' indicate the early 19th century development of Kilmun, being among the first houses built for the holiday traffic, and are very early examples of seaside development on the Clyde Coast. The group is an important addition to Kilmun, and has particular scenic value, especially when seen from across the Holy Loch. The houses are also important for their connection to Napier and the wider opening of the Clyde Estuary to tourists, as well as for their contribution to the streetscape at Kilmun.

3-bay, 3-storey, rectangular-plan houses, with a variety of later alterations (see below). Shallow-pitched piended slated roofs with ashlar stacks and clay cans. Predominantly painted rubble with sandstone dressings.

Anchorage: Large flat-roofed glazed porch to central entrance. Predominantly timber sash and case windows with some later plastic replacements. Some alterations have been carried out since the house was built, including the widening of the ground floor windows. The interior of Anchorage has retained its original layout and stone stair, but the house has been modernised.

Ardmun: Large flat-roofed glazed porch along the front elevation. A piended-roof square extension to the rear dates to the late 20th century. Sometime in the 20th century, the windows on the ground floor have been lowered to form French doors. Replacement windows (2005) on the front elevation. access to the interior of not obtained at the time of the resurvey (2004).

Fountain Villa: Later small flat-roofed glazed porch. The single-storey canted bay to the front elevation is a later addition. More recently, a single-storey piend-roofed extension has been built on to the NW elevation. 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Fountain Villa retains some internal features, such as a stone stair, timber windows and shutters.

Heathbank: Later lean-to shingle-roofed glazed porch. Few changes have taken place to the exterior of Heathbank, with the exception of window replacement. The shed to the rear has been demolished and replaced with a modern timber shed to the E. Modern (c.1960) timber windows throughout. On the interior, Heathbank retains some simple cornices and architraves and the original stone stair. The original pantry to the W at the rear has been removed to form a bigger kitchen.

Lochview: Later flat-roofed concrete porch to the central entrance. To the front are 2-pane and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. To the rear the stair window is 16-pane timber sash and case. The interior of Lochview is perhaps the most intact of the six houses, with stone stair, timber windows and shutters and the boarded timber door to the rear. There is also a cast iron fireplace with tiled cheeks and hearth. However, the ceilings have been replaced throughout.

Woodburn: Flat-roofed glazed porch to the central entrance. To the left is a two-storey canted bay. Woodburn has been considerably altered over the years, with the addition of the two-storey bay, the formation of double windows on the front elevation and cement-harling. To the E is a small single-storey garage extension. Internally, the stone stair was removed and replaced in the 1930s. Cement-harled rubble with painted sandstone dressings. Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Woodburn has been quite modernised, with some features of c1930. In the stair window is stained glass of c1900.

Outbuildings, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates: the 'Tea Caddies' have steep terraced gardens to the road and shore and service access is by a narrow lane to the rear. The boundary walls are of rubble, with square-plan gatepiers and cast iron and wrought-iron gates. To the rear of the houses are a selection of single and 2-storey-outbuildings, both original and later.

Statement of Special Interest

David Napier (1790-1869) the celebrated marine engineer and a pioneer of deep-sea steam navigation, purchased a stretch of land along the Holy Loch and Loch Long shore from General Campbell of Monzie in 1828 and built an hotel, a pier and a number of villas, including this group of six. The original use of the villas is uncertain, but it is thought they may have been for short-term let to visitors. In 1829 Napier advertised the attractions of Kilmun, Including 'Substantial quay-side houses to let' (MacLehose 114). Napier is known to have sold off most of his Scottish interests in c 1837 ( Walker, 1992, 359).

References

Bibliography

Waterston, J, Outline Plan of the Estate of Kilmun, The Property of Alexander Campbell of Monzie (1839); Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); New Statistical Account (c1845); Maclehose (Pub.), David Napier, Engineer, 1790-1869, An Autobiographical Sketch with Notes, 1912; Walker, F A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 135; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute, 2000, 359.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KILMUN, SHORE ROAD, ANCHORAGE, ARDMUN, FOUNTAIN VILLA, HEATHBANK, LOCHVIEW AND WOODBURN (THE TEA CADDIES) INCLUDING OUTBUILDINGS, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/12/2019 00:45