Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
National Park
NJ 35401 13119
335401, 813119


Mid to later 19th century and circa 1900. 2-storey, 3-bay gabled former bank and bank house with later tall single storey and attic, 2-bay, L-plan shop and post office on corner site dominating centre of Bellabeg village immediately opposite Village Hall. Striking diamond-aligned stacks, finialled gables, dormer gablets, castellated porch, beak skewputts and decorative rainwater goods to bank house; decorative skewputts to shop. Whitewashed harl with contrasting granite base course, quoin strips, margins (stop-chamfered at door), mullions and cills.


S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: bank house at left with advanced full-height gable to left bay, porch and gabletted windowheads breaking eaves to centre and right bays. Lower shop at right with broad advanced gable at left.

E (GLEN NOCHTY ROAD) ELEVATION: gabled elevation with 2 large fixed display windows, outer angles canted back and surmounted by scrolled skewputts and blind oculus (with later louvre) in gablehead.

INTERIOR: some moulded cornices, panelled shutters and screen door with etched glass panel to former bank.

4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates with traditional rooflights. Grouped, coped ashlar diamond aligned stacks and ashlar-coped skews with decorative skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.

ANCILLARY BUILDINGS: single storey, L-plan, ancillary building to NE with boarded timber doors, 2 altered garage openings, grey slates and traditional rooflights

Statement of Special Interest

The early bank house is a substantial, well detailed Victorian villa, uncommon in design for this area. The shop appears on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. Situated at the centre of Bellabeg Village, the former Clydesdale Bank, Bank House and Shop have been at the hub of both village and glen life for generations. It is distinguished by its prominent corner siting, castellated porch and distinctive decorative stacks. Although the bank itself closed last year, the adjacent shop and post office, the last in Strathdon, remains open (2006). Groome, writing at the latter end of the 19th century, mentions a branch of the Town and County Bank.



Groome's Gazetteer (1882), Vol V p408. 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey maps, (1869-70, 1902-03).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BELLABEG, BANK HOUSE AND SHOP INCLUDING ANCILLARY BUILDING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 27/01/2023 11:46