Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

MAIN STREET, WHITELAW MEMORIAL FOUNTAINLB50508

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
29/06/2006
Supplementary Information Updated
24/08/2020
Local Authority
North Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
North Lanarkshire
Burgh
Coatbridge
NGR
NS 73126 65101
Coordinates
273126, 665101

Description

Hugh H MacLure, 1875. Ornately carved Free Renaissance tall square-plan pink and grey granite water fountain with domed and corniced belvedere on tall channelled pedestal prominently sited at the head of Main Street. Squared corner indented corniced pedestal on chamfered plinth with banded plain rustication, diamond-pointed rusticated quoins and circles to top course. Semi-circular pink granite basins with carved lion-head spouts and plaques to each side. Four square Corinthean columns supporting pendentive arched canopy with modillion keystones and heavy dentilled cornice to octagonal based, carved, scalloped dome above. Fluted urns to chamfered angles with corresponding urn to apex.

Statement of Special Interest

The Whitelaw Fountain is a good example of a later 19th century ornate, classically detailed drinking fountain with finely carved stone detailing. Hugh Haugh MacLure (died 1892) was an architect and civil engineer working from Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow who predominantly worked on Railways and road bridges and also wrote 'The Sewage of Glasgow and Neighbourhood'. The fountain is dedicated to Alexander Whitelaw, industrialist and partner in the local firm of Gartsherrie Iron, who in 1872 organised the relocation of the railway line away from the main street to create a civic space. The original location of the fountain was in front of the Royal Hotel at the point of the removed railway approximately 100 yards to the west of where it stands today; it was apparently moved due to incidents with increasing traffic. The fountain was moved to its current position some time between 1966 and 1971 (as shown on the Ordnance Survey map of 1971). Inscriptions to the granite panels read: 'This fountain stands on the site of the level crossing of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch railway which was removed 1872' and 'Created by subscription in honour of Alexander Whitelaw Esq (MP?) In recognition of the many valuable services rendered by him in the community. Inaugurated 10th August 1875.' When fully working the fountain had metal drinking cups attached to each basin (now infilled) on a chain with constantly flowing drinking water for the public.

Listed building record updated in 2020.

References

Bibliography

Maps

Ordnance Survey (revised 1897, published 1898). Lanarkshire VII.12 (Old Monkland). 25 inches to the mile. 2nd Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (revised 1939, published 1946). Lanarkshire VII.12 (Old Monkland). 25 inches to the mile. 4th Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (1966). 1:2,500. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (1969-1971). 1:2,500. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Printed sources

Peden, A. (1992) The Monklands: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. Edinburgh: RIAS, p.42.

Van Helden, O. (2000) Old Coatbridge. Catrine: Stenlake Publishing, p.28.

Online sources

Dictionary of Scottish Architects. Hugh MacLure at http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=200706 [accessed 24/08/2020].

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MAIN STREET, WHITELAW MEMORIAL FOUNTAIN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/08/2022 03:30