There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Group Category Details: B
- See Notes
- Date Added: 04/05/2006
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
- National Park: Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 19294 80551
- Coordinates: 219294, 680551
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
This boathouse formerly served Dunselma, immediately to the N. Dunselma and associated buildings were built for James Coats Junior to the designs of architects Rennison and Scott in 1885-6. The boathouse is a part of a complex of buildings that are the ultimate expression of the conspicuous wealth of late 19th century industrialists. The boathouse is also important as James Coats is perhaps best known for his yachting exploits and this is a survival of the heyday of yachting on the Clyde. The building also displays good quality nautical-themed stonework, corresponding to that on the main house.
The boathouse is a simple rectangular building with a crow-stepped gables to the front containing a segmental-arched opening. The gable-front is carved with a series of stepped band-courses, ball-finialled skewputts and a rope-moulded roundel. The side elevations are harled, with sandstone finials and parapets. The original building appears to have consisted of a single space open to a timber-truss roof. The building has since been converted to form a home. This has resulted in flat-roofed extensions to the rear, the NE side and the front.
Materials: Sandstone ashlar to front and dressings. Harled stone to sides and rear. Slate roof with stone ridge. PVC windows.
Boundary Wall, Gates And Gatepiers: low stone boundary wall with chamfered copes. Square-plan gatepiers with ball finials. Elaborate cast iron gate. The stone and concrete jetty still survives on the sea-front.
Statement of Special Interest
James Coats Junior (1841-1912) was the grandson of Sir James Coats, the Paisley cotton millionaire. He was the president of the Royal Clyde Yacht Club and is known to have owned 16 yachts. Coats' main house was Ferguslie in Paisley (demolished).
The house later belonged to Walter Bergius (another keen sailor), of the Bergius Engine company, later the Kelvin company.
Little work by architects Rennison and Scott is known. It appears they worked mostly for the Coats family. J.A Rennison designed Carskiey House (1904-9) in a Scottish Vernacular idiom on the Mull of Kintyre for Kate Coats (Walker, 2000, 62). The only other known house by the practice is Cartside House, Renfrew, of 1880.
The complex at Dunselma included the main house with lawns to the front incorporating a tennis court, the stables and staff accommodation on the High Road and the Lodge, Boathouse and a large palm house (since demolished) on the shore.
B-Group with Dunselma, Dunselma stables and Dunselma Lodge.
Ordnance Survey 2nd edition (c1898); Walker, F A and Sinclair, F, North Clyde Estuary: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), 137; Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000), 62, 472; Information Courtesy of the Owner and a local resident (2004).
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.