There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 04/05/2006
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
- National Park: Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 15699 82910
- Coordinates: 215699, 682910
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Cashlie, a single-storey 5-bay astylar roughly C-plan classical house built c.1830, is a good example of a simple classical villa and one of the earliest villas along the Kilmun Shore. The house stands out for its position in the early 19th century development of the shore as well as for its formal design, including such elements as the impressive oval-domed entrance hall and distinctive Greek features.
Description And Development: Cashlie is marked on a map of 1839 on 'Lamond's feu,' and the house appears to have changed little since then. In the centre the entrance is through a concave profile door surround. There are raised moulded stone architraves to the front windows. The roof is piended and slightly bellcast with substantial ridge-stacks. Two projections to the rear enclose a small courtyard. These rear wings have been converted from service to domestic use.
Interior: the interior includes a large oval dome with a central lantern and a Greek frieze of griffins and vases, Greek key and palmette cornices and shell niches. The main reception rooms have cornices with Greek keys and palmettes and shell niches. Some original joinery survives, including panelled timber doors and shutters.
Materials: whinstone rubble with sandstone dressings. Predominantly modern windows. Graded slate roof, large corniced ridge stacks with polygonal clay cans.
Boundary Walls, Gatepiers And Gates: the house is bounded by rubble walls. A pair of substantial octagonal gatepiers, probably of 19th century origin with a cast iron gate, are a late 20th century addition to the SE entrance.
Statement of Special Interest
On the O.S. 1st and 2nd edition maps Cashlie is known as Kilmun Cottage. The house later (c.1864) became the home of the shipbuilders and steamship owners, the Campbells of Kilmun. In the early 20th century the house was bequeathed to the Glasgow Abstainers and was used by them in connection with the nearby Convalescent Home (see separate listing)
The buildings now known as 'Hollytrees' appear to have been built as outbuildings for Cashlie.
Although Kilmun is an early settlement, it remained a small village until the 1820s. From 1827 David Napier, a marine engineer, purchased land along the shore of Loch Long, built a pier, a hotel and several villas (Including the 'Tea Caddies'- also listed) at Kilmun and opened a new route from Glasgow to Inverary via Loch Eck. Although Cashlie is outwith Napier's feu, the development of the site belongs to the same period of expansion, which led to a string of villas as far as Blairmore.
Waterston, J, Outline Plan of the Estate of Kilmun, The Property of Alexander Campbell of Monzie (1839); Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); MacLehose (Pub.), David Napier, Engineer, 1790-1869, An Autobiographical Sketch with Notes (1912); Hope, I, The Campbells of Kilmun, Shipowners 1853-1980; Further information courtesy of the owners (2004).
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.