Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Along with the pier and the ticket office, Blairmore Hall is an important part of the marine heritage of Loch Long. The development of the Blairmore coast as a marine resort was made possible by the development of steamer services connecting with Glasgow. The set of buildings at Blairmore Pier forms a nucleus for the scattered development. This later 19th century hall, a simple single storey rectangular structure with round-arched openings, is central to the group.
Blairmore pier opened for business in 1855 and connected regularly with Lochgoilhead, Kilmun and Greenock. It is likely that the hall was built when the pier was improved in 1873 (Ordnance Gazetteer, 167). The building, which served as the waiting room and 'Refreshment Rooms' (see early photographs), E-facing, is gable-fronted, 3-bays wide by 7 bays deep with regular fenestration along the sides. The gabled front to the road has the entrance to the right, with a round-headed doorway reached by three stone steps. To the left of this are two further round-headed windows. In the gable is a round clock in a stone oculus. To each side elevation there are similar round-headed windows, as well as large sliding doors to the W.
The OS map of c1898 shows a further building to the rear of this, but at present only a de-roofed lean-to survives. Early photographs show the hall with a sign across the front gable and decorative bargeboards.
Interior: the interior, consisting of one large room, is plain, boarded to dado height. The ceiling, at low collar height, is flat, with a plain cornice.
Materials: whinstone rubble with sandstone dressings. Timber sash and case windows. 2-leaf timber door. Timber boarded sliding doors to sides.