There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 04/05/2006
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
- National Park: Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 19070 83326
- Coordinates: 219070, 683326
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Blairmore Farm illustrates the continuing evolution of farm buildings through the 19th century. There has been a farm at Blairmore since at least the early 19th century, which was formalised and improved in the 19th century. During the late 19th century, when the Benmore Estate changed hands, the farm was further improved, with the erection of a number of outbuildings in concrete. Although some of the late 19th century buildings have been demolished, Blairmore retains a number of interesting buildings including relatively rare concrete structures as well as a formal farmhouse. The farm consists of a 3-bay 2-storey double-pile farmhouse, a number of piend-roofed ranges to the rear and a pair of concrete cottages.
The farmhouse at Blairmore retains an early 19th century house to the rear of the present farmhouse, visible as an almost separate 2-storey 3-bay block. On to this was built the front of the present farmhouse, more formal and mid 19th century, 2-storey, 3-bay with canted full-height outer bays and a central gablet.
Probably at the same time a number of buildings were built, forming a three-sided courtyard to the rear. A long stone-built range has survived parallel to the house, as has the short S range, now with a corrugated asbestos roof.
It is thought that most of the buildings were built in concrete in the 1870s. This includes a long S range, with a hay loft on the first floor, and a number of additions to the N, including stables, opening on to a cobbled yard. A large byre filled the new courtyard formed by the new N and S range. The byre, a timber construction on cast iron columns, has since been demolished, leaving only the columns.
In the 20th century the farm has continued to expand, with the construction of a number of corrugated iron sheds.
Interior: a number of features survive in the farmhouse, including an arched marble fireplace, a timber stair with cast iron balusters and original joinery.
Cottages: to the S of the farm buildings is a pair of semi-detached L-plan piended slate roofed concrete cottages with S-facing bipartite timber sash and case windows. The interior of the cottages was not seen during the 2004 survey
Materials: stone rubble farmhouse with sandstone dressings. Slate roofs. Timber inner and outer doors. Predominantly modern windows. Stone ridge-stacks and clay cans. Farm buildings of stone and of concrete. Predominantly slate roofs with some corrugated iron and asbestos replacement. Timber boarded doors and windows.
Statement of Special Interest
Concrete began to be used in farm buildings in the early 1870s. After the publication of an article in the Journal of the Royal Agricultural Society in 1874, use became more widespread. Examples in Scotland include those in Poltalloch and Sutherland estates (Wade-Martins, 2002, 136). However, the practice had all but been abandoned by 1890. A further two concrete cottages (now altered) were built nearby at Castle Cottages.
No buildings seem to be marked on earlier maps (such as Langlands, 1801) in the area now occupied by Blairmore Farm. On a 1839 (Waterstone) map several buildings appear, but this is obviously before the formalisation of the farm. According to the owner Blairmore Farm was the home farm for the Benmore Estate throughout the 19th century. When the estate was taken over by James Duncan it seems one of his sons acquired the farm. A number of improvements were carried out, including the construction of a system whereby hay was brought from the high meadows by way of an overhead cable, none of which survives (the owner, 2004).
The sheep fank to the SW is separately listed.
Langlands, G, Map of Argyllshire (1801); Waterston, J, Outline Plan of the Estate of Kilmun, The Property of Alexander Campbell of Monzie (1839); Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c.1863) and 2nd edition (c.1898); Wade Martins, S, A Century of Farms and Farming on the Sutherland Estate, 1790-1890 in Review of Scottish Culture, 10 (1996-7); Wade Martins, S, The English Model Farm: Building the Agricultural Ideal, 1700-1914 (2002);
Information courtesy of the owner (2004).
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.