There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 04/05/2006
- Local Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority: Argyll And Bute
- Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
- National Park: Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 19448 81431
- Coordinates: 219448, 681431
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Fairy Knowe is among the best of the mid-19th century villas in Blairmore. Its highly prominent position allows it to be seen and appreciated easily from the Shore Road. It is thought to be the work of Charles Wilson, one of the most important Glasgow architects of the mid 19th century. The house survives in very good original condition, largely unaltered.
Fairy Knowe is a roughly rectangular-plan pitch-roofed gable-fronted villa of c.1855, cottage style incorporating Jacobean details. The house sits well above the shore road on a steep hill, a position which gives it a view over much of the Firth of Clyde. The front (E) elevation consists of a central gable, slightly advanced, containing a canted bay with quatrefoil traceried parapet. To the left is a panelled timber door in a roll-moulded surround and a window. To the right a rectangular bay containing a tripartite window is surmounted by a half-dormer. The openings have strapwork pediments and there are ring-drip bargeboards to the central gable and dormer. There are two small blocks extending to the rear; that on the left (N) appears to belong to the original buildings, while that on the right is later.
Interior: the interior contains the original joinery and doors, including one with painted glass, a fine panelled plasterwork ceiling and other details such as a tudor-arched stone fireplace.
Materials: buff sandstone ashlar to the front, rubble to sides and rear. Graded grey slate roof, stone stacks and polygonal clay cans. Timber sash and case windows - predominately 12-pane to rear and 4-pane to front.
Coach House, Boundary Walls etc.: the pitch-roofed coach house by the roadside is of rubble with a square-headed coach door and a basket-arched window above, a blocked-up archway to the side and accommodation on the first floor. The coach house is accessed through a cast iron gate on rubble gatepiers with quartz rubble capstones. The boundary walls are of rubble. The main entrance to the house is to the S, with cast iron gates and castellated square-plan gatepiers.
To the front of the house is a sundial with a boulder base and urns on pedestals.
Statement of Special Interest
In the 1840s a number of Wilson's villas, such as a small house at Dunoon, were in the cottage style, which may include this house. A recent list of buildings by Wilson includes a design for a villa at Blairmore between 1855-7 and a villa for Hugh Reid ' which is thought to have been Glenconner, also at Blairmore (demolished) (Sinclair, 1995).
The house is thought to have been built for the Bald Family, dry salters (Information from the owner, 2004). It was also the home of the famous pathologist William Boog Leishman (1865-1926).
Ordnance Survey 1st edition (c1863) and 2nd edition (c1898); List of Benmore Feuars (c1915), Courtesy of Benmore Trust; Sinclair, F J, A Question of Style- Charles Wilson Architect 1810-1863 (1995); Walker, F A, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000) (Mistakenly identified as Tower Hill); Information courtesy of the owner (2004).
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.