Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NN 56412 20342
256412, 720342


Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Circa 1890, or later (see Notes). Painted cast-iron signpost with 2 arms. Straight post with 2 ring shafts below arms and ball finial. White-painted cast-iron arms with chamfered corners, black raised lettering (see Notes) and black-painted edges. A rare surviving example of a traditional signpost.

Statement of Special Interest

Situated at the Balquhidder junction, by the corner of the Kingshouse Hotel car park. This sign originally had 3 arms as this was originally a T-junction with the A84 running past the front of The Kingshouse Hotel. The third arm was presumably removed when the road was re-routed.

This type of road sign was once ubiquitous on the roads of Scotland, and is an important part of the history of road transport. Most of these signposts have now been replaced by modern signs which are more legible to fast-moving traffic. This is the only such signpost known to survive in anything approaching its original condition in the Trossachs, although there is a much later, and less complete signpost at the Stroneslaney / Ballimore Junction in this parish (not listed). Other signposts are known to survive in Dumfries and Galloway, Ayrshire and East Lothian.

There are 2 arms to the post. One is for ROB ROY'S GRAVE. 2 MILES; and BRAES O'BALQUHIDDER. The other is for LOCHEARNHEAD. 3 MILES; KILLIN. 10 MILES; CRIANLARICH. 20 MILES; and OBAN. 61 MILES and has a small attachment clipped onto it for the A84. Each arm also has an illustration of a pointing hand.

A signpost is marked on this spot on the 1898 OS map, but it is not presently known whether this is the original sign, or a later replacement. The article in Ayrshire Notes indicates similar signs in Ayrshire date from the mid 1920s. It was, however, erected before 1930 as a memorandum on direction posts issued by the Ministry of Transport in 1930 specified that the arms should have square ends.



Marked on 2nd Edition OD map (1898). Ayrshire Notes, No 18, Spring 2000, p16.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KINGSHOUSE, SIGNPOST

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/09/2022 05:14