Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NN 53682 20899
253682, 720899


Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Circa 1870 with 1963 addition. Gothic school with bell cote and pointed arched windows and adjoining gabled school-master's house with gabled dormers, timber porch and canted bay window. Both buildings have log-effect stonework. They were built as part of village improvements carried out by the local landowner, David Carnegie, in the same style as the church and Ardachaidh, with which the school and schoolhouse group well. The school and schoolhouse are situated in a prominent position by the entrance to Balquhidder, and make a positive contribution to the streetscape.

Schoolhouse: single storey and attic, 3-bay, L-plan villa with lean-to addition in re-entrant angle, which is situated to the rear. On the front elevation is a central gabled timber porch with a canted bay window to the right and a later door with sidelights to the left. On the upper floor are 2 gabled dormer windows. The side and rear elevations are irregularly fenestrated. The school building adjoins the W gable. The interior retains many original fixtures, including some timber window shutters, plain cornice and picture rail in the sitting room, timber staircase, chimneypieces in the bedrooms and timber panelled interior doors.

School: single storey, 1-room school with bell cote and tripartite pointed-arch window to S gable and 2 shouldered pointed-arch gabled windows to the W elevation. The interior of the school room has a timber arch-braced ceiling supported on plain corbels. A large out of character extension was added to the W elevation in 1963.

Materials: 3- and 6-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to schoolhouse; timber windows to school. Coursed sandstone, rounded on the surface to give log-effect to principal elevations; ashlar quoins and window dressings; local random rubble and quartz to rear. Coped stacks with yellow clay cans. Graded grey slate.

Boundary Wall: random rubble boundary wall to sides and rear; random rubble retaining wall to road with steps and cast-iron gate to schoolhouse.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Parish Church, Ardachaidh and Old Library Tea Room. David Carnegie had made his fortune from banking, sugar refining and brewing in Sweden, and purchased the Stronvar estate in 1848, where he rebuilt Stronvar House. He then commenced to make a number of improvements in the area, including building the church, library and the house now called Ardachaidh. Both the Ardachaidh and church have the same type of stonework: it is not known whether the log-effect was intentional. The school has very similar detailing to the church, for example the cusped windows and arch-braced roof, so may have been built by the same architects, David Bryce and the Hay brothers (see list description of Church for more details).

This school was built as a replacement to one that was situated near the gate of the church, and is shown on the 1st edition OS map (1862). An old photograph shows the school before the rather unsympathetic 1963 addition was built.



Shown on 2nd Edition OS map (1898). M Lloyds, 'Around Callander and the Trossachs' (1999), old photo on p76.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALQUHIDDER, FORMER SCHOOL AND SCHOOLHOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/11/2023 19:39