Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

KILLIN, MAIN STREET, LYNEDOCH INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB50331

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
04/05/2006
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Killin
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NN 57283 32932
Coordinates
257283, 732932

Description

Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Constructed in the late 19th century, Lynedoch is a 2-storey and attic villa with an integral shop (now disused, 2005). With its white harl and white-painted ashlar margins and quoins it is an individual in the Main Street of Killin. Its exceptionally broad gable combined with a bay window rising through 2-storeys marks it out as having a distinctive architectural character. The presence of the clock on the principal elevation is a rare example of a visual reminder of the original occupation of the owner - a clockmaker. Lynedoch retains a traditional glazing pattern and this is now a rarity in Killin. The good quality interior adds to its interest.

There is a deeply recessed single bay entrance section to the left of the principal (West) elevation. The entrance has a moulded doorpiece with a dentilled cornice and the 6-panel timber door is 2-leaf with a simple rectangular 2-pane fanlight above. To the right, under the overhanging eaves and within the broad gable are 3 bays. There is a bay window to the left to the ground and first floors. A band course separates the ground and first floors. To the right on the ground floor is the shopfront which has been subject to some later alterations. Above this is the round faced clock (currently not working, 2005), with a white dial with black Roman numerals. The broad gable is repeated to the rear (East elevation).

INTERIOR

Good quality with fine joinerywork. 5-panel timber doors. Stair with Art Nouveau inspired cast-iron balusters and timber handrail. First floor drawing room with original balustered timber chimneypiece and decorative tiles. Decorative cornice and picture rail. The first floor room behind the clock has an easily accessible mechanism for adjusting the clock. The shop interior is timber boarded.

MATERIALS

Harled. The white-painted quoins and margins appear to be red sandstone ashlar underneath. Slate roof. Timber sash and case plate glass windows with horns.

BOUNDARY WALLS

There is a coped rubble stone wall to the Northwest with a pedestrian gate.

Statement of Special Interest

Lynedoch has had a variety of commercial uses since it was built. Unfortunately the present position of the hands on the dial does not allow for a full reading of the name on it (H.HORWO?? KILLIN). It is likely that it did not remain long as a clockmakers as it is noted on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map as the Post Office in 1898-1900. It also served as the local garage at one point in the 20th century with the pumps on the pavement outside and is now used as a regional base for the National Trust for Scotland.

References

Bibliography

2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (1898-1900).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KILLIN, MAIN STREET, LYNEDOCH INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 04:21