Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

KILLIN, LARACHBEAG, STATION HOUSE AND TARMACHAN TEASHOPLB50329

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
04/05/2006
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Killin
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NN 57375 33132
Coordinates
257375, 733132

Description

Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Consisting of 3 separate properties, Station House is a 2-storey 3-bay L-plan house with a lower 2-storey rear service wing and later alterations and additions. Although in its present form it is likely to date from the mid to late 19th century it is possible that it contains earlier fabric. Its overhanging eaves and timber bargeboarding are characteristic of the local Breadalbane style. Less common is the lined-out render and segmental windowheads. The segmental windowheads give the building a distinctive presence and are characteristic of railway architecture. The survival here of traditional glazing is now a rarity in Killin. Station House is of interest not only for its architectural design, but also for its eponymous connection with Killin's now demolished station (see Notes).

The principal elevation faces West and has a central door. The first floor windows to the outer bays break the eaves and have pitched roof gables. A further entrance opening has been created to the ground floor right. To the North and South elevations are monopitch single storey sections with entrances. To the rear (East) elevation a modern non-traditional flat-roofed timber dormer is located in the re-entrant angle. There is a stack on the North gable.

INTERIOR

Partly seen (2004). Modernised.

MATERIALS

Lined-out render predominantly to West, North and South elevations, harled to rear. Graded slate roof. Mostly timber sash and case windows, 2-pane over 4-pane.

Statement of Special Interest

Station House appears on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map and it is possible that the building was remodelled to meet the needs of the new railway station at Killin itself in 1886.

References

Bibliography

1st & 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (1859-64 & 1898-1900).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KILLIN, LARACHBEAG, STATION HOUSE AND TARMACHAN TEASHOP

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 04:30