Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BOWLING AND TENNIS CLUB PAVILION, STONEHAVEN RECREATION GROUNDS, STONEHAVENLB50271

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
23/03/2006
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Burgh
Stonehaven
NGR
NO 87456 86343
Coordinates
387456, 786343

Description

Early 20th century. Single storey and part raised basement, 7-bay, roughly rectangular plan, timber sports pavilion on ground falling to E, with canted, polygonal-roofed bay at centre of S (principal) elevation and open veranda to S and E elevation. Rendered base course, vertically-boarded timber. Corniced doorpieces, panelled timber and glazed doors; multi-paned fanlights. Timber transoms and mullions. Veranda with fretwork balustrade and paired timber supports with curved capitals. Gambrel roof, gabled to N (rear) elevation.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Timber steps rising to fullwidth veranda; canted projecting bay at centre. Set-back face with broad canted window incorporating door at centre; entrance doors to flanking bays and tripartite windows to end bays. Narrow projecting bay at outer left with narrow window and supporting later timber ticket booth.

N ELEVATION: triple-gabled elevation with variety of single and bipartite windows.

E ELEVATION: full-width veranda; bipartite window to centre. Basement with timber boarded door to centre and window to left.

Multi-pane glazing patterns in timber windows. Grey slates with terracotta ridge tiles. Overhanging eaves with plain bargeboarding.

INTERIOR: (seen 2004). Largely unaltered. Panelled room to centre with fluted pilasters. Locker rooms with boarded timber walls and ceilings, and fixed bench seats with lockers below. Moulded cornices.

Statement of Special Interest

This distinctive pavilion prominently sited in Stonehaven's Recreation Grounds and close to the open air swimming pool (see separate listing), was an important addition to the attraction of Stonehaven as a seaside resort town. The interior of the pavilion is well-detailed for a building of its scale and type, retaining its panelled timber room with fluted pilasters.

Stonehaven developed as a popular holiday destination following the opening of the railway on the 30th October, 1849, by the Aberdeen Railway Company, with passenger trains starting on 1st November, 1849. In 1897 it was described as "of northern health resorts it is perhaps the most readily reached from all parts of England and the south of Scotland" (Eeks, p11). The Recreation Grounds opened in 1885, providing tennis, bowling and putting, as well as the seafront boardwalk. The pavilion was constructed to provide changing room and meeting accommodation for the users of the recreation ground, and today is used by the bowling and tennis club.

Lawn bowls today is a hugely popular sport in Scotland. It has a long and distinguished history with the earliest reference to the game in Scotland appearing in 1469, when James IV played a variation of the game referred to as 'lang bowlis' at St Andrews in Fife. The first public bowling green in Scotland was laid out in 1669 at Haddington, near Edinburgh, however it was not until 1864 that the rules of the modern game were committed to writing by William Mitchell of Glasgow in his Manual of Bowl-Playing. Machine manufactured standard bowls were invented by Thomas Taylor Ltd, also of Glasgow, in 1871 and the Scottish Bowling Association was formed in 1892. Today there are around 900 clubs in Scotland with an estimated 90,000 active lawn bowls players.

Modern lawn tennis was established in 1874 by Major Walter Wingfield who developed a new style of the game and a new type of court in order to speed up play. The Wingfield version came to Scotland when James Pattern tested the new game outside at the Grange Cricket Ground in Edinburgh around 1874 and it soon became the version which was preferred by players.

List description updated as part of the sporting buildings thematic study (2012-13).

References

Bibliography

F E Eeks, Stonehaven, Historical And Descriptive (1897). Evident on 3rd edition Ordnance Survey Map (surveyed 1923, published 1927). www.stonehaventennisclub.com/page2 (acccessed 27 March 2013).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BOWLING AND TENNIS CLUB PAVILION, STONEHAVEN RECREATION GROUNDS, STONEHAVEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/11/2019 07:14