Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

2 CARRON TERRACE, GOWAN BANK INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB50255

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
23/03/2006
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Burgh
Stonehaven
NGR
NO 87203 85758
Coordinates
387203, 785758

Description

Late 18th century; interior altered 1988. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan terraced house in Stonehaven's new town, with later gabled porch. Coursed and squared rubble with contrasting margins, harled with stone margins to rear.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Later gabled and finialled porch to centre at ground with windows in flanking bays, 3 regularly-disposed windows at 1st floor and canted dormer windows over outer bays flanking small modern rooflight.

N (REAR, CAMERON STREET) ELEVATION: centre bay with tiny horizontal window at ground and single window to 1st floor, further window in bay to left at ground.

Modern 4-pane glazing pattern in sash and case effect pivot windows. Small grey slates. Broad coped ashlar stacks with thackstanes and polygonal cans; ashlar-coped skews.

BOUNDARY WALLS: coped rubble boundary walls.

Statement of Special Interest

Group with Nos 1 and 3 Carron Terrace and 41'51 Cameron Street. Gowan Bank is a rare, little altered example (bar the glazing) of the early quality houses to be built on the grid iron planned New Town of Stonehaven laid out by Robert Barclay of Ury in 1797 on Arduthie Estate lands which had been purchased by his father in 1759.

References

Bibliography

Wood TOWN PLAN OF STONEHAVEN (1823). Information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2 CARRON TERRACE, GOWAN BANK INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2022 16:52