Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

19 BRIDGEFIELD INCLUDING MILESTONE AND BRIDGE PIERLB50251

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
23/03/2006
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Burgh
Stonehaven
NGR
NO 87425 85734
Coordinates
387425, 785734

Description

Mid to later 19th century, extended 1920s by Thomson Joiners. Single storey and raised basement, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, piend-roofed shop and workshop with single storey and attic, 3-bay office; adjacent to the Carron Water and incorporating milestone with re-cut keystone from 1781 bridge. Snecked roughly coursed rubble with large stugged red sandstone quoins; red brick on random rubble basement to N, timber to S and W.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: single storey bays to right of centre with broad multi-pane bipartite window (converted from door) at centre and windows abutting eaves in flanking bays, that to right over milestone and inscribed stone off-set in niche at outer right. 2-storey bays to left of centre with part-glazed boarded timber door and 6-pane fanlight to right at ground, small window immediately to left and broad pend opening with 2-leaf boarded timber door beyond; 2 canted dormer windows with modillioned cornices in mansard roof above.

N (CARRON WATER) ELEVATION: ground floor with 5 regularly-disposed tripartite windows, timber display board to outer left and later bay to outer right; basement with small horizontal openings.

Fixed multi-pane glazing patterns and plate glass glazing to dormer windows, all in original timber windows. Grey slates with traditional vertical rooflights to workshop. Coped brick wallhead stack with can.

INTERIOR: vestibule with part-glazed timber doors, one with etched glass worded 'OFFICE', and some multi-pane top lights. Shop (former joiner's workshop) timber-lined with original nail boxes and cupboards lining S wall, and roof timbers of Oregon pine. Timber-lined wall to staircase.

MILESTONE AND BRIDGE PIER: commemorative stone worded 'THEOBALD BARCLAY 1150' 'MATHERS 1351 URIE' (see Notes) from 1781 bridge re-cut and set into wall (see above) below milestone incised with 'BERVIE 10 / L14 / A14'. Square-section, coped, channelled ashlar pier (from former bridge) to NE angle.

Statement of Special Interest

Although the 1867 Ordnance Survey Map does not show a building on this site, the current (2005) owner has deeds dating from 1850, showing that he is only the third owner. Built as a joiner's workshop, the basement area continues to be used by Stonehaven Joinery Service. Robert Thomson & Sons built the 1st floor (now the ground floor) and the offices in the 1920s. The ground floor has been used as a shop since the late 1990s, and at least part of the space was used during the 1890s as the office of Stonehaven's Provost. Throughout the past century, and probably before, much of the woodwork in Stonehaven's buildings would have been installed by Thomson's joinery. Drawings found in the roof space include details of brackets to be installed under folding seats at the Chancel in Dunnottar Parish Church, dated 1903 and designed by George Young (Architect) 42 Tay Street, Perth. The Bridge of Stonehaven, over the Carron Water, was built in 1781 by Robert Barclay of Ury as the entrance to his New Town. It had three arches and cost £145, the installation of iron girders in 1885 had concealed the structure with its inscribed keystone at the centre arch. The inscription on the commemorative stone is a copy of that on the keystone, with dates and names referring to 'events in [the] history of the Barclay family, whose ancestor Theobald de Berkeley first came to Scotland in 1150. The family obtained the estate of Mathers in 1351 through the marriage of Alexander Barclay with Catharine, daughter of Sir William Keith, the Earl Marischal'. Further detail (now eroded) below the word 'URIE' formerly read '1647 COND 1781'. This refers to the purchase of Urie in 1647 by David Barclay 'on his return to Scotland, after serving with Gustavus Adolphus' (Eeks). The bridge was widened in 1885 and rebuilt 1973.

References

Bibliography

STONEHAVEN, HISTORICAL AND DESCRIPTIVE (11897), pp17-18. Jane Geddes DEESIDE AND THE MEARNS (2001), p13. Gourlay and Turner SCOTTISH BURGH SURVEY HISTORIC STONEHAVEN (1978), p3. Information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 19 BRIDGEFIELD INCLUDING MILESTONE AND BRIDGE PIER

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/01/2022 20:24