Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

WELLBRAE PRIMARY SCHOOL, WELLBRAEHEADLB50236

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
23/11/2004
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Burgh
Forfar
NGR
NO 45858 50931
Coordinates
345858, 750931

Description

Circa 1878; significant extension of 1908. First phase of building to the north, single storey, C-plan. Second phase of building adjoins to S and extends further W than the first phase. Single storey with Scots Baronial and Arts and Crafts detailing, principal elevation to S, projecting gabled wings flanking 3-bay section with central gable; NW re-entrant angle, single storey round tower with conical roof forming main entrance. Mostly stugged squared Sandstone (red sandstone to second phase); bullfaced snecked rubble to S elevation; stugged quoins and margins to first phase; smooth ashlar quoins, tabbed windows margins and dressings to second phase. Stone mullions to window openings. To most gables of second phase, moulded string course and vertical moulding intersecting apex of gables.

S ELEVATION: projecting gable wings each with single windows flanking central shallow 3-light bay window; fake stack to gable apexes; triple windows flanking central, slightly advanced gable with 2 double windows and corbel table above, pedimented blank tablet. N ELEVATION: single-bay projecting gables flanking central section with continuous window of 13 lights. Small hoodmoulded round-arched louvred opening to gables. Small modern lean-to addition to left of central section.

W ELEVATION: series of 3 sections stepping forward from left to right. 2-bay first phase section with bipartite window to right. Centre, 2-bay second phase section with, to return angle (left), slightly advanced tall gabled porch with timber boarded and glazed 2-leaf doors with mullioned 3-over-3 light above; round tower with conical finialled roof tower forming porch with timber-boarded and glazed 2-leaf doors with mullioned 3-light opening above. 2nd phase section with 3-bay, slightly advanced gable to left and blank section to right.

E ELEVATION: series of 3 sections stepping forward from left to right. 2nd phase section to far left largely obscured by adjacent building, but with triple window to right. Central section, 2nd phase, 4-bay with slightly advanced gabled doorways to outer bays (blocked to left). To far right, 1st phase 2-bay section.

INTERIOR: some roll moulded cornicing. Hall, part of 2nd phase and situated centrally, lit by series of rooflights set in timber-ribbed piended ceiling.

GLAZING etc: mostly timber sash and case windows with 4-pane upper sashes and 6-pane lower sashes. Predominantly pitched roofs with graded slate and stone skews; moulded skews to 1st phase, step skews to 2nd phase (additional skews mid-way up gable to some 2nd phase gables); terracotta ridge tiles to 2nd phase sections; several round and square ridge ventilators. Predominantly cast-iron rainwater goods, some ornamental hoppers.

Statement of Special Interest

Wellbrae Primary School is an interesting, and relatively little-altered example of a school with 2 distinct phases of construction, and a clear contrast between the simpler, more utilitarian architecture of the first phase and the showier style of the second phase. It also makes a valuable contribution to the streetscape.

In 1881, the Ordnance Gazetteer recorded that Wellbraehead School (as it was originally known) was one of 6 board schools in the burgh. At that time the buildings had capacity for a maximum of 280 pupils, although the average attendance was 250. It is clear that in the next 20 years the school roll must have increased rapidly to require such a large extension. The construction of this extension was probably also triggered by the establishment of Local Education Authorities in Scotland in 1908.

The first phase of the school stood behind a terrace of houses which lined Wellbraehead, and was accessed by an alleyway to the east. When the second phase of building took place, 3 of the houses on the road were demolished to create room for the extension and a larger playground to the south; however, some of the houses were retained, accounting for the way in which the 2nd phase is wrapped closely around buildings to the east of the school plot.

References

Bibliography

2nd and 3rd edition OS maps. F. Groome, ORDANANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, (1883), vol. 3 p37.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WELLBRAE PRIMARY SCHOOL, WELLBRAEHEAD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/09/2022 09:56