Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
Logie Pert
NO 69808 63554
369808, 763554


Later 18th / early 19th century, single- storey, rectangular-plan, 6 bays long, piend-roofed vernacular building of clay construction with some sections faced in stone, brick and cement render. Built as school, converted to church purposes 1929. NE elevation has earlier 20th century gabled porch of timber and corrugated iron, with gabled timber bellcote, flanked by later lean-to timber and corrugated iron bays. Accommodation within divided into one large room (originally schoolroom) and two smaller rooms and vestibule, which originally formed schoolmaster's house, to S end.


Dado height timber panelling to former school room. Cast iron range to each smaller room. Slightly coombed ceilings.


Mostly 4-pane timber casement windows; 12-pane sash and case window to SW elevation. Clay walls with render, stone or brick cladding in places. Piended Welsh slate roof. Brick ridge stack with thackstane to SW end, marking division between school room and smaller rooms.

Statement of Special Interest

Logie School is a rare and remarkably complete example of the use of clay as a vernacular building material. It also has historical educational and religious interest due to its former use as a school and a church. The Old Statistical Account (1791) commented that the schoolmaster of Logie Pert had a free house and garden and taught between 40 and 50 scholars in the winter, 10 less in the summer; it is possible that this refers to Logie Schoolhouse. Alternatively, Logie Schoolhouse may be one of the 2 unendowed schools, mentioned in the 1834-45 Statistical Account, as built close to the mills in the early 19th century. The Schoolhouse was then used by the Free Church, and the United Free Church, from 1929 until the 1980s.



1st edition Ordnance Survey map, c1868. 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, c1904. The Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1791-99. The New Statistical Accounts of Scotland, 1845. Additional information courtesy of The National Trust for Scotland.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LOGIE SCHOOLHOUSE, FORMER U.F. CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/06/2024 04:51