Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

University of Edinburgh, Examination Hall, (Former Free Church), 48A The Pleasance, EdinburghLB50199

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
12/12/1974
Last Date Amended
17/07/2015
Supplementary Information Updated
28/12/2018
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26289 73394
Coordinates
326289, 673394

Description

1858; altered Henry F Kerr, 1893 and subsequent alterations (see Notes). Asymmetrical, 2-storey, rectangular-plan gable-fronted Gothic Revival former church with lower, 2-storey bay to right. Squared and snecked, droved sandstone with ashlar margins. Base course, some hoodmoulding with stylized label stops.

Entrance elevation to W (The Pleasance) with wide pointed-arch doorpiece to off-centre right with pair of timber entrance doors with central stone mullion and multi-pane fanlight above. Central 5-light round-arched window with curvilinear tracery. Pair of 2-light windows with stone transoms and mullions to ground floor left.

Predominantly fixed glazing with top hoppers. Grey slates. Skews with triangular skewputts.

INTERIOR: (seen 2007). Converted to form examination hall. Timber doors, some with glass panels. Internal door linked to No 48 (see separate listing).

Statement of Special Interest

B group with Nos 48, 60 and 78 The Pleasance. This former church with its well-detailed tracery window makes a significant contribution to the streetscape of the area and it is an important component of the run of buildings from No 48 - 78 The Pleasance. These stylistically different buildings, with a variety of gables facing the street, define the character of this part of The Pleasance.

The previous list description notes that drawings in the Dean of Guild from 1893 show the plans for alterations to the church to accommodate a gymnasium and hall for the New College Missionary Society next door (No 48 The Pleasance, see separate listing). There is a datestone of 1858 depicted on the church drawing, but this seems to be no longer visible.

References from previous list description: Edinburgh City Archive, Dean of Guild Court Records (1893). NMRS, 19th century photograph of Pleasance Brewery (CD/7471).

Henry Kerr (1855-1946) was an Edinburgh architect.

List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08.

Category changed from B to C(S), 2008.

Statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as '48A The Pleasance, University of Edinburgh, Examination Hall, (former Free Church)'.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 257523

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1876-7).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

West elevation, University of Edinburgh, Examination Hall, (Former Free Church), 48A The Pleasance, Edinburgh

Printed: 08/12/2021 22:37