Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 48454 63834
248454, 663834


James Steel Maitland, 1937-9 and 1949 incorporating mid 19th century fabric. 3-storey, roughly 3-bay, rectangular-plan office building with Art Deco front elevation and 1949 1st floor bridge link to truncated section of 2-storey 19th century former industrial building. Rendered brick with sandstone and concrete dressings. Deep sandstone base course to front elevation of main building only; raised parapet / blocking course to all 3 sections.

FURTHER DETAILS: Principal elevation to E, facing onto River Cart. 2-leaf timber door to centre of main building in broad architrave rising from base course with prominent drop-keystone and corniced canopy forming shallow balcony to window above. Horizontal lights to outer bays of ground and 1st floor; horizontal row of 6 lights linked by bracketed concrete cill to upper floor; roof parapet with deep overhanging concrete cope, rising in 2 steps towards centre and surmounted by flag pole. Link building adjoining to left: shallow segmental arch at ground with 2-leaf iron gates to car park; gently bowed window to 1st floor with horizontal glazing and plain supporting brackets. Mid 19th century piend-roofed building advanced at angle to outer left with segmental-arched windows to 3 elevations. Regular fenestration to rear.

Fairly small-pane glazing in metal-framed windows, predominantly with hopper opening to upper sections. Grey slate roof.

Statement of Special Interest

A good example of the work of J S Maitland. The principal elevation faces the River Cart, roughly opposite Paisley Abbey, and is easily visible from that side of the river.

James Steel Maitland was one of the most important architects working in Paisley in the first half of the 20th century. He had worked as principal assistant to T G Abercrombie (another leading Paisley architect) from 1920, became a partner in 1923 and continued the practice after Abercrombie's death in 1926. He designed a large number of buildings in Paisley, which at this period were distinguished by their well-proportioned slightly Art Deco facades and bands of horizontal glazing. Other examples in a similar style are numbers 35 and 50 High Street. His most famous building is the Russell Institute.

The office building was built for J Kirkpatrick and Son, electrical contractors. The bridge link was added in 1949.

The arched-window section is the truncated remains of a mid-19th century warehouse or industrial building that is marked on the 1st edition OS map (circa 1864).



Dean of Guild drawings in Paisley Museum, reference 1937/27. Information about date and architect from Duncan Macintosh (Renfrewshire Council).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 15 AND 17 MARSHALL'S LANE AND CART WALK, KELVIN HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/09/2023 07:19