Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

50 HIGH STREET AND 1 ORR SQUARELB50175

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
14/11/2005
Local Authority
Renfrewshire
Planning Authority
Renfrewshire
Burgh
Paisley
NGR
NS 48032 63997
Coordinates
248032, 663997

Description

James Steel Maitland, dated 1934. 3-storey (2-storey to rear), piend-roofed office building on steeply sloping site at corner of High Street and Orr Square, with shops at ground, concave curve at corner filled with 2-storey canted window, and horizontal glazing to front and side elevations. Polished sandstone ashlar to principal facades; roughcast rendered brick to Orr square. Glazed shop fronts at ground to High Street with bracketed cornice above fascia that projects to bowed canopy at corner; bands of horizontal windows to 1st and 2nd floor; eaves course; blocking course with projecting copes and raised at corner to form parapet.

FURTHER DETAILS: principal elevation to corner has bowed shop window with original glazing stepped up in 3 sections to follow rising ground; recessed concave section rising through 2 upper floors and terminating in raised parapet with monogram panel; 2-storey metal-framed canted windows. 2 shop fronts retaining some original fabric to High Street elevation; horizontal window bands to first and 2nd floors with 1934 date stone between them. Ashlar façade continues for 1 bay to Orr square elevation with blocked shop window at ground and 2 windows above; 2-bay rendered section beyond with horizontal window bands to left and lower section to right with segmental arch at ground leading to rear courtyard and small window over.

4- and 8-pane lying-pane glazing in metal-framed windows. Rendered stacks with red clay cans. Welsh slate roof.

Statement of Special Interest

A good example of the work of J S Maitland. The building has been designed to be seen when approaching along the High Street from the E. When viewed from this direction it is prominent on the street and makes a positive contribution to the streetscape. The treatment of the corner is unusual and effective and the retention of the original glazing at the corner and upper floors contributes significantly to the merit of the building.

James Steel Maitland was one of the most important architects working in Paisley in the first half of the 20th century. He had worked as principal assistant to T G Abercrombie (another leading Paisley architect) from 1920, became a partner in 1923 and continued the practice after Abercrombie's death in 1926. He designed a large number of buildings in Paisley, which at this period were distinguished by their well-proportioned slightly Art Deco facades and bands of horizontal glazing. Other examples in a similar style are numbers 35 High Street and Kelvin House. His most famous building is the Russell Institute.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild drawings at Paisley Museum, ref 1934/3 (not seen, information supplied by AHSS). Appears on 1938 OS map.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 50 HIGH STREET AND 1 ORR SQUARE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/09/2022 03:45