Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

1 ROSS STREET AND 1 - 13 (ODD NOS) BANK STREETLB50160

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
17/10/2005
Local Authority
North Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
North Lanarkshire
Burgh
Coatbridge
NGR
NS 72995 65038
Coordinates
272995, 665038

Description

James Davidson, 1898. 2-storey rectangular plan Renaissance style public house with offices (former Masonic hall) above. Extending along Bank Street with commercial and domestic properties. Red sandstone ashlar, chanelled to ground floor. Canted corner with oriel window and triangular pediment above eaves. Continuous frieze for signage, moulded string course at impost level on first floor, frieze and cornice to wallhead, blocking course. Large public house windows and shop windows on ground floor.

N (BANK STREET) ELEVATION INCLUDING NOS 1,3 AND 5: symmetrical elevation. Central bay contains two round-headed keystoned doorways. Bays divided on the first floor by coupled Corinthian pilasters and containing bipartite and tripartite round-headed windows with Corinthian columns. Prominent wallhead stack with flanking balustrades. CANTED BAY: round-headed opening to ground floor within pilasters with grape and hop motifs to capitals. Corbelled tripartite oriel window with Corinthian columns. Piended roof to corner pediment with square terminal and ball finial.

E (ROSS ST.) ELEVATION: round-headed doorway and plate-glass window to ground floor, tripartite window over.

7, 9, 11, 13 BANK STREET: 2-storey 6-bay range, with square-headed bipartite windows to first floor, and alternating round-headed entrances and shopfronts to ground. Timber panelled and later flush doors. Plate-glass windows to public house; plate-glass sash and case windows to first floor. Grey slate roof. Wallhead and ridge stacks with decorative clay cans.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a well-detailed example of a multiple-use building of the late 19th century by an important local architect and sits in a prominent location on a main road into the town.

The building was designed to house a Masonic hall. Valuation rolls of the period record that in 1898 St James Masonic lodge was already occupying No 5 Bank St. The same document records a Mary King owning a spirit shop known as the 'Sharks Mouth.' There had been a public house on this site since at least 1858 when the previous building on the site is marked as 'Railway Tavern' on the town plan.

The pattern of the shopfronts along Bank Street is continuous as far as the railway bridge, although the wall height is lower and there are simpler bipartite square-headed windows. The building is now divided into a number of properties, with a separate business now operating out of the Western part of the Bank Street elevation.

James Davidson (1848-1923) was a successful Coatbridge architect who designed a number of schools and commercial buildings in the town, including Gartsherrie Primary School (1906), Airdrie Savings Bank (1920), Glenboig Union Fireclay Company and Broomknoll Parish Church. Davidson's most prestigious commission was for The King's Theatre in Edinburgh (1905-6), which he designed in collaboration with J D Swanson.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey 2nd edition, 1899. A Peden, THE MONKLANDS; AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1992) p48.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1 ROSS STREET AND 1 - 13 (ODD NOS) BANK STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/07/2019 13:54