Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

14 AND 16 HOLYROOD ROADLB50148

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
30/08/2005
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 26255 73530
Coordinates
326255, 673530

Description

R MacFarlane Cameron, dated 1896 with probable earlier fabric to rear. 2-storey, 3-bay, roughly L-plan, Scots Baronial commercial building with central crow-stepped gable with wheat-sheaf finial. Snecked, rock-faced cream sandstone with polished red sandstone ashlar margins and at ground. Rubble to side and rear. Roll-moulded surrounds. Moulded cill course, eaves course. Segmental-arched openings to ground. Round-arched pediments to dormerheads. Wing to rear with late 20th century projecting stair tower at W.

N (street) elevation: symmetrical. Central pair of 2-leaf, 6-panel entrance doors with tall fanlights above. Central date plaque above with intertwined initials J and T (see Notes). Strapwork pediment to central 1st storey window with monogram RMC.

Variety of timber framed fenestration. Timber framed, 6-pane over plate glass to 1st floor with opening upperlights. 3-light over plate glass to ground with dentilled transom. Grey slates, deep skews. Coped gable stack. Cast iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 2007, but believed to be substantially altered.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a notable example of a well-detailed late 19th century minor commercial building by a prominent Edinburgh architect. It is the only 19th century survivor in a comprehensively redeveloped area south of Holyrood Road and is of significant streetscape value. The building was built for its owner James Tait whose initials are carved on the plaque at 1st storey level. This carving is typical of carvings by Cameron, who was also responsible for the tenement at No 9 opposite (see separate listing).

In the 1890s, it appears that a campaign to widen the South Back of Canongate involved the demolition of a number of buildings and Nos 14-16 was rebuilt on a new line. Most of the rear of the building is likely to date to at least the early 19th century.

Robert Macfarlane Cameron (circa 1860-1920) was an Edinburgh architect who output included schools, churches and public houses.

References from previous list description: City of Edinburgh Archive, Dean of Guild, 23 Jan 1896, South Back of Canongate. Town Plans of Edinburgh (1876-7) and 1893-4).

List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey (1849-53). Ordnance Survey Map 1905-6.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 14 AND 16 HOLYROOD ROAD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 21:15