Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

STRATHAVEN, 8 THREESTANES ROAD, JOHN HASTIE MUSEUM INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERSLB50141

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
09/08/2005
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Parish
Avondale
NGR
NS 69901 44749
Coordinates
269901, 644749

Description

James Lochhead and William Brown; 1915-1921. Rectangular plan 2-storey 5-bay rectangular-plan museum building in Anglo-Dutch style with central, rounded scrolled pediment to front and prominent dormers to rear (park) elevation. Cement rendered and painted. Painted stone dressings. High base course. Raised window surrounds. Stepped piended roofs with overhanging eaves.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Timber-panelled door in roll-moulded surround with carved signage over: (THE JOHN HASTIE MUSEUM) in moulded surround; window above and date stone to pediment (1915); flanked by pair of windows with blind semicircular panels over. Single small windows to outer bays.

N ELEVATION: 2-storey (front) block to right with single timber boarded door, window over. 2-bay rear block to left with single door, small bipartite window to far left.

S ELEVATION: 2-storey (front) block to left with single timber boarded door, window over. 2-bay rear block to right with single door, small bipartite window to far right.

W (PARK) ELEVATION: 3 wide central bays on ground floor, later infilled with panelling and steel shutters. Small bipartite windows to outer bays. 5-light flat-roofed box dormer.

INTERIOR: (seen 2004) timber block flooring. Tiled fireplaces. Timber panelled doors.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: coped squared rubble boundary wall with chamfered coping to Threestanes Road. Square-plan ashlar gatepiers with domed capstones and 'JHM' monogram.

PVCu windows. Stepped piended roof of graded grey slates; overhanging bracketed eaves Wallhead stacks with tall clay cans. Cast iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

The John Hastie museum is a good example of Lochhead and Brown's work. The building exhibits good architectural detailing in its central, rounded scrolled pediment and stepped piended roof and makes a positive contribution to the streetscape in its immediate context. The museum is dedicated to the immediate locality of Strathaven, housing exhibits relevant to local history including Strathaven Castle, Covenanters, the weaving industry and the 1820 Radical Rising.

James Lochhead and William Brown were partners in the architectural practice of Cullen, Lochhead and Brown. This practice was based in Hamilton, they undertook work all over Scotland but were particularly prolific in the Lanarkshire area. Their work is characterised by Edwardian baroque and classical detailing and they were accomplished in a range of building types. Their work includes St Andrews Church, Motherwell (1903) the Hamilton Muncipal Buildings and Public Library (1903), and Tenements in Kemp Street, Hamilton (c1904) (see separate listings).

The building work commenced after the outbreak of World War I and took two years to complete. On completion a number of structural failures came to light. One side of the building began to subside and required underpinning. The tiles which were used on the roof were soon found to be inadequate and were replaced with slates. The museum was not officially opened until 1921.

John Hastie was a local grocer and farmer who died in 1889. Hastie left his estate for the provision of a public park and a building to house his guns and other trophies. A field known as 'Grierson's Holm' was purchased. The museum is sited adjacent to the public park. The rear elevation was designed with an open verandah, supported on columns, and toilets in order to provide a pavilion for the park. The verandah was enclosed in c1985. In 1916 the John Hastie Park was handed over to the council, in whose ownership it remains (2004).

(List description revised 2011).

References

Bibliography

HAMILTON ADVERTISER 16 July 1921. Campbell, MY AIN, MY NATIVE STRA'VEN (1943). Downie, A HISTORY OF STRATHAVEN AND AVONDALE (1979.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to STRATHAVEN, 8 THREESTANES ROAD, JOHN HASTIE MUSEUM INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 04/03/2024 01:16