There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 23/02/2005
- Local Authority: Fife
- Planning Authority: Fife
- Parish: Tulliallan
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 92562 87165
- Coordinates: 292562, 687165
Sir Alexander Gibb & Partners, Westminster, 1930-31, with architectural advice from James Miller. Major road bridge with swing span (now fixed shut).
2696ft total length with series of shallow-arched spans. Swing span, 364ft, swivels at centre with cantilevered spans to either side. Series of gantries span roadway. Above centre, control cabin. Original plant in machine room at centre pier. Flanking swing span, 7 identical 100ft steel spans (cantilevers, central 50ft spans resting on girders projecting 25ft from piers). In addition, at Kincardine end, 3 62ft 6in spans (also steel) over land. At opposite end, 9 50ft reinforced concrete spans and piled viaduct, also reinforced concrete, 265ft long.
Statement of Special Interest
A large and important swing span bridge. The swing span was fixed shut in 1989. When completed, it was the largest road bridge in Britain with the largest swing span in Europe.
J Guthrie Brown was engineer-in-charge under Sir Alexander Gibb. Building began in 1933 and the bridge was opened on 29th October 1936. The contractors were the Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Co Ltd, although much of the work was subcontracted. Other subcontractors included: Sir William Arrol who provided the swing span turntable; Bromsgrove Guild, the lamp standards; Tunnel Cement Co and the Cement Marketing Co, both of London, provided the enormous amount of cement filler (2 types) required.
The swing span turns on a roller path mounted on a steel cylinder containing two sets of turning gear - a Ward-Leonard set to control turning and a standby diesel engine of 150 horsepower. The control desk and oak and teak joinery was by Scott Morton Ltd.
Built under the direction of the joint committee representing Fife, Stirling and Clackmannan counties and Dunfermline and Falkirk burghs. Pier foundations were obtained by sinking 14ft 16in hollow steel cylinders with their tops kept above high water level. The river bed was excavated to bedrock from within these cylinders. A geological fault line at the south end rendered it necessary for the foundations there to be made on groups of piles.
Photo electric cells, used here for the first time, controlled the exact location of the swing span. Harrison noted that it was so accurately set on its track that its 1600 tons could be turned through 90 degrees by three farthings worth of electricity.
The bridge spans the Firth of Forth from Tulliallan Parish in Fife to Airth Parish in Falkirk.
THE OPENING OF THE KINCARDINE ON FORTH BRIDGE 29.10.36 (1936). John Guthrie Brown, MINUTES OF PROCEEDINGS OF THE INSTITUTION OF CIVIL ENGINEERS (1937) pp687-770. Godfrey Harrison, ALEXANDER GIBB THE STORY OF AN ENGINEER (1950).
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.