Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

SKELMORLIE, 12 MONTGOMERIE TERRACE, OAKHILL WITH GARAGE, BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS, GARDEN TERRACES AND STEPSLB50044

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
07/01/2005
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Parish
Largs
NGR
NS 19317 67688
Coordinates
219317, 667688

Description

John Keppie, 1886; R A Bryden, 1905 additions to N. 2-storey, 5-section, roughly rectangular-plan villa with stepped frontage to W. Gabled and piend-roofed sections arranged from S to N as follows: piend-roofed block, advanced to W with octagonal turret at SW corner; piend-roofed section orientated N-S with balustraded timber porch to E and verandah to W with balcony above; gabled block, advanced to W with probably later 2-storey bay-window to W; early 20th century section, recessed to W; slightly lower piend-roofed section, recessed to W; Edwardian conservatory adjoining S elevation. Squared, snecked, stugged red sandstone with polished sandstone ashlar dressings. Non-continuous string cornice to W elevation; deep bracketed eaves with plain bargeboards. Raised quoin strips; raised, chamfered window margins; decorative half-timbering on gables to W.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-leaf timber panelled folding door to large early 20th century timber porch with stained glass lights and balustraded parapet; tripartite mullioned window above with flanking basket-arched windows; gabled dormer to outer left; irregular fenestration elsewhere with a variety of window sizes.

S (SIDE) ELEVATION: timber Edwardian conservatory with canted end on sandstone base; raised roof ridge; cast-iron finial. Gabled dormer at 1st floor to right.

W (GARDEN) ELEVATION: Recessed section to centre with verandah/balcony in front supported on central decorative cast-iron post and scrolled stone corbels to sides; decorative cast-iron railings to balcony; 2 3-leaf folding timber panelled doors to verandah; 2-leaf glazed door to balcony with gabled dormer-head above. Advanced section to right with bipartite window at ground and 2-storey 3-light canted turret to outer right with ball-finialed octagonal piended roof. Advanced gable to left of centre with projecting 2-storey 3-light mullioned bay window. 2-bay recessed service wing to outer left with bipartite window at ground and basket-arched windows at 1st floor.

Timber sash and case windows with a variety of glazing patterns: plate glass to principal rooms on W elevation; 4-pane glazing to less prominent windows; border-glazed stained glass windows and some small-pane glazing to E. Corniced red sandstone stacks with decorative red clay cans. Graded grey slate roof. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: half-glazed timber panelled doors to inner lobby and entrance hall. Entrance hall panelled to dado; Mackintosh-style stained glass; timber chimneypiece with bevelled glass mirror in timber frame above; dentiled timber over-doors. Timber staircase with plain balusters rising to galleried 1st floor landing. Timber chimneypiece to drawing room with Adam-style decoration and matching cast-iron grate; picture rail; Adam-style wall and ceiling friezes; compartmented ceiling. Sitting room with working timber shutters and plain marble chimneypiece. Adam-style chimneypiece to dining room with plain cast-iron grate; decorative ceiling frieze and compartmented ceiling. Some original pantry cupboards in kitchen. Timber panelled doors throughout; brass handles downstairs; timber knobs upstairs. Plain cornicing throughout.

BOUNDARY WALL, RAILINGS AND GATEPIERS: dwarf boundary wall; intermittently-space piers linked with cast-iron railings; ashlar gatepiers inscribed 'OAKHILL' in small roll-moulded panels.

GARDEN TERRACES AND STEPS: garden terraces with sandstone steps to front and side of house.

GARAGE: circa 1930. Rendered garage with half-glazed timber-boarded folding doors, bargeboarded entrance gable; depressed-arch windows to sides.

Statement of Special Interest

A good late Victorian villa, occupying a relatively prominent position on Montgomerie Terrace, by the architect John Keppie who also designed the two houses to the North. This is the best of the three. Keppie later joined practice with John Honeyman, who had a house in Skelmorlie and also designed a large numbers of villas there. Oakhill was considerably extended by the architect Robert Bryden in 1905. These additions not only include the service wing, conservatory and porch, but also additions to the SW corner of the house, which are not so easy to identify. It seems that the house was considerably altered at this time and the stained glass and Adam-style decoration almost certainly date from this time. The interior of the house is particularly good, especially the half-panelled entrance hall with its galleried first-floor landing. The early twentieth century conservatory is a rare survival in Skelmorlie, although its condition is rather unsound.

References

Bibliography

Appears on 2nd edition OS map (1897), additions to N and conservatory shown on 3rd edition OS map (1911). Ayrshire County Council Building Bylaws Committee Minute Books, 2.3.1905, ref CO3/12/4/4 (information from Rob Close). Information courtesy of the owner (2004).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SKELMORLIE, 12 MONTGOMERIE TERRACE, OAKHILL WITH GARAGE, BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS, GARDEN TERRACES AND STEPS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/07/2022 10:41