Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

TILLICOULTRY, MOSS ROAD, DEVONVALE HALL, INCLUDING GATEPIERSLB50034

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
16/12/2004
Local Authority
Clackmannanshire
Planning Authority
Clackmannanshire
Parish
Tillicoultry
NGR
NS 92102 96699
Coordinates
292102, 696699

Description

Arthur Bracewell, 1938-1940. 2-storey, T-plan, Art Deco hall. Coursed cream coloured concrete blockwork, partial brick facing, partial render to front; render to sides and rear; chamfered concrete margins; vertical coursed concrete banded bays to upper stair towers; concrete cills; red roof tiles. Cantilevered concrete bowed canopy with stepped parapet to advanced single storey entrance block; central plaque with applied decorative butterflies, stylised raised lettering and date: 'DEVONVALE / 19 HALL 38'. Concrete eaves course and moulded cornice to entrance block.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical, 7 bays (arranged 3-1-3). Central recessed entrance, bow-fronted steps rising to 3 double figured-timber and glazed doors, flanking horizontal brick banding, bronze plaque commemorating foundation stone to right, bowed metal and glass canopy with stepped parapet above. Advanced single storey, 3-bay sections (former cloakrooms) flanking entrance. Upper storey set back, wide central wall-head with horizontal banding and central plaque, flanked by slightly advanced piended single bay stair towers.

S ELEVATION: 7 bays. Double-height hall with small window (to stair) to left and 3 large windows to centre (that to middle margin-paned with circular motif to upper section) set behind single storey brick and concrete entrance block to far left; lower single storey 4- bay section further advanced to centre with plain metal railings to balcony above. Later access ramp to right. Advanced single storey lavatory block to far right. E (REAR) ELEVATION: central stair tower and chimney stack, narrow horizontal windows directly below wallhead.

N ELEVATION: similar to S elevation.

INTERIOR: entrance hall: terrazzo flooring with blue, black and green geometric Art Deco pattern, moulded oak chimney piece with electric fire surround; narrow transomed and mullioned lights to chequered terrazzo staircases with bent mahogany handrails leading to balcony to N and S of entrance hall. Main hall: massive banded and stuccoed dome to ceiling; balcony to W of hall, coffered ceiling under balcony; stage with moulded and stepped detailing to E. Kitchen and bar facilities flanking hall to either side. Teak hall floor and stage. Pilastered and moulded wood architraves to doors and principal windows. Original light fittings and ironmongery, extensive wooden mouldings and cornicing throughout. Copper hooded radiators.

Statement of Special Interest

Devonvale Hall is a good, little-altered example of a 1930s entertainment building which evidences many fine Art Deco and Neo-Georgian details. The building also holds an important association with the cultural and industrial history of the local area, forming part of a wider plan to provide employees of the Devonvale Mills a high standard of living with well-designed houses, sports and leisure facilities, shop units and even bus shelters. Arthur Bracewell (1891-1953) was brought to Tillicoultry from England in 1925, by the Salts of Saltaire, then owners of Middleton and Devonpark Mills. He was hired by the benevolent managing director, Sidney Platfoot, of Samuel Jones and Co Ltd, a paper-coating firm, which took over the premises of Devonvale Mill, a former tweed manufacture (1846-1920). Platfoot was committed to providing good housing and leisure facilities for his workforce. These included tennis (demolished) and bowling pavilions and well-designed interwar housing for workers and managers along Moss Road (from 1934). The company's symbol, the Camberwell Butterfly was used as a decorative motif on the main plaque.

Reinforced foundations consisting of concrete pads set approximately 10 feet under ground were necessary as this building is set on a former moss field. Excellent acoustics are provided by the large dome.

References

Bibliography

Photographic album of Arthur Bracewell's work, NATIONAL MONUMENTS RECORD OF SCOTLAND (c.1938). R M Bailey, SCOTTISH ARCHITECTS' PAPERS: A SOURCE BOOK (1996) p110, 207. A Swan, CLACKMANNAN AND THE OCHILS (2001) p111. J Gifford and F A Walker, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: STIRLING AND CENTRAL SCOTLAND (2002) p771. Additional information courtesy of Cllr Walter McAdam (2004). Original drawings with BRACEWELL, STIRLING ARCHITECTS, Tillicoultry.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TILLICOULTRY, MOSS ROAD, DEVONVALE HALL, INCLUDING GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/08/2019 23:58