Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

KIRKTON CHAPEL GRAVEYARD, CRAIGNISH INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL (EXCLUDING SCHEDULED MONUMENT NO 285 'KIRKTON, CRAIGNISH OLD PARISH CHURCH AND TOMBSTONES')LB5001

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/07/1971
Last Date Amended
27/04/2015
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Parish
Craignish
NGR
NM 77826 1480
Coordinates
177826, 701480

Description

Rectangular-plan burial ground, repaired 1800s, with re-entrant angle at the southwest corner. Variety of predominantly 19th century memorials and grave markers including cross stones and enclosures. Rubble boundary wall with rubble coping stones. Square-plan gatepiers with pyramidal caps to northwest wall.

Statement of Special Interest

The church and collection of early tombstones housed within it are Scheduled Monument No 285 and are excluded from the listing. Also known as Kilmory Chapel or St Maelrubha s Chapel. Kilmory was the ancient name of Craignish.

Statutory address and listed building record updated in 2015. Previously listed as 'Kirkton Chapel (Kilmory)'.

References

Bibliography

New Statistical Account of Scotland (1844) Edinburgh: Blackwood and SonsMuir T.S. (1861) Characteristics of Old Church Architecture. p.55.Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1864, published 1865) 25 miles to 1 Inch. 1st Edition. London: Ordnance Survey.Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1896, published 1897) 25 miles to 1 Inch. 2nd Edition. London: Ordnance Survey.Third Statistical Account of Scotland (1951) Edinburgh: Oliver and Boyd

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KIRKTON CHAPEL GRAVEYARD, CRAIGNISH INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL (EXCLUDING SCHEDULED MONUMENT NO 285 'KIRKTON, CRAIGNISH OLD PARISH CHURCH AND TOMBSTONES')

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/12/2019 04:38