Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

243 CENTRE STREET, FORMER TELEPHONE EXCHANGELB49932

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
03/08/2004
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58473 64320
Coordinates
258473, 664320

Description

Circa 1935. 3-storey and 2-storey with basement and attic 3-bay by 7-bay rectangular plan monumental neo-Baroque former telephone exchange. Red brick with predominantly sandstone ashlar to basement and attic. Deep base course, eaves cornice and parapet.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: off-centre wide recessed doorway flanked by pair of Doric columns supporting exaggerated dentil moulding. Above, large tripartite windows at 1st and 2nd floors, narrow rectangular tripartite window to attic floor. To left, slightly advanced slightly lower one bay section with round-arched gated entrance with keystone at ground. Above, bipartite windows at 1st and 2nd floors with festooned keystoned oculus at attic floor all set in shallow recess. To right, slightly advanced slightly lower single bay section with basement opening with bipartite opening above. At 2nd floor bipartite window with festooned keystoned oculus above, all set in shallow recess. To far right, narrow return of S elevation.

S ELEVATION: advanced mirrored outer bays with round-arched keystoned windows at 1st floor and bipartite windows at attic floor, all set in shallow recess flanking slightly lower 5-bay section of bipartite windows at 1st and 2nd floors with narrow rectangular single light windows above.

E ELEVATION: brick, mostly obscured by adjacent warehouse.

N ELEVATION: 6-bay with advanced single bay section to far right. Brown brick.

Predominantly replacement pivot windows. Some original glazing survives at attic floor.

INTERIOR: in poor repair. Concrete floor to ground floor, damaged herringbone parquet flooring to 1st floor. Tiled stairwell with upper narrow band of small green and red tiles.

Statement of Special Interest

Presumably designed and built by the Office of Public Works. An imposing and distinctive piece of streetscape architecture in Tradeston. It is an important indicator of the history and development of Glasgow's telecommunications industry in an area which has changed immensely during the last 50 years.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey Map (1938-42).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 243 CENTRE STREET, FORMER TELEPHONE EXCHANGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/05/2019 02:58