Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

MONTGOMERY STREET AND 22 QUEEN MARY STREET, QUEEN MARY STREET NURSERY SCHOOL, DINING HALL AND JANITOR'S HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB49925

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
03/08/2004
Supplementary Information Updated
20/01/2017
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 61100 63945
Coordinates
261100, 663945

Description

Boucher & Higgins, circa 1891. 3-storey, 14-bay, rectangular-plan former Board School with fine classically treated interior. Squared and snecked, bull-faced red sandstone with polished ashlar dressings. Deep base course, ashlar cill course to 1st floor, cill courses to upper floors, eaves cornice. Piended roof.

W (MONTGOMERY STREET) ELEVATION: 7-bay with widely-set tripartite, bipartite and single light windows at 1st and 2nd floors. Off-centre single bay gabled entrance porch with pitched roof, simple moulded doorway inscribed INFANTS in re-entrant angle. S ELEVATION: to left, 4-bay section with off-centre simple moulded and corniced entrance doorway inscribed GIRLS . To right, recessed 2-bay section. E ELEVATION: 5-bay with bipartite windows. Corniced parapet curved and finialled to left only. N ELEVATION: to right, 4-bay section with simple moulded and corniced entrance doorway at 2nd bay inscribed BOYS . To left, recessed single bay section.

DINING HALL AND JANITOR S HOUSE: 2-storey, 3-bay Janitor s House with base course and eaves cornice. Adjoining to W single storey dining hall with timber bellcote including bell to W elevation.

Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows with horns now mostly boarded up (2010). Grey slates. Some decorative hoppers to cast iron downpipes.

INTERIOR: good quality, near-intact classical treatment to top-lit central hall rising full height of building flanked by stairs leading to upper floors. Keystoned oculi, dentiled cornicing and composite pilasters supporting round-arched decorative hoodmoulds at each floor. Original railings to upper floors now abutted by later higher railings. Decorative cast iron radiators. Some marble fire surrounds. Classrooms divided by large timber and sliding etched glass screens. High dado height timber panelling. Brass door stops, handles.

BOUNDARY WALLS: to S high squared and snecked bull-faced red sandstone section with flat coping. To E at W gable of dining hall short section of low wall with railings and gate separates former boys and girls playgrounds.

Statement of Special Interest

Externally the former Queen Mary Street Public School follows the Board School model of the late 19th century and contributes to the patina and history of the streetscape. The classically treated and largely intact interior is of particular note and lifts the interest, a fine example of the work of local architects James Boucher & Henry Higgins. The central hall features a wealth of decoration including keystoned oculi, dentiled cornicing and composite pilasters supporting round-arched decorative hoodmoulds, all adding to the architectural interest.

Historic photographs in the Mitchell Library show that the upper floor of the E elevation was originally without windows and inscribed 'Queen Mary Street Public School . The oculi windows in the central hall (now with square glazing) originally had decorative ironwork infills. The Dining Hall does not appear in the Dean of Guild Plans in the Mitchell Library, however, it is likely that it was constructed around the same time as the main body of the school. Currently not in use (2010) the building is located in an area of the city which has undergone a particularly comprehensive programme of change over the last 50 years.

List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.

References

Bibliography

evident on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey Map, Lanarkshire (1892-7). Mitchell Library, DEAN OF GUILD PLANS, Ref: 1/1519 -1891, School Photographs Series, D-ED 5/18-27 pp44-46 (c1917).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MONTGOMERY STREET AND 22 QUEEN MARY STREET, QUEEN MARY STREET NURSERY SCHOOL, DINING HALL AND JANITOR'S HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/09/2019 20:32