Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

11, 13 AND 15 BATH STREET, ALBERT CHAMBERSLB49919

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
03/08/2004
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 59038 65652
Coordinates
259038, 665652

Description

Bruce & Hay, dated 1901. 6-storey and basement 6-bay U-plan Free Renaissance commercial building with shops at ground floor. Red sandstone ashlar to street elevation, squared and snecked red sandstone, white glazed brick and harling to other elevations. Deep cill course to 1st floor, cill courses to other floors, string courses, deep eaves cornice, stylised parapet with pinnacles. Broken pediments and scrolled pediments to 3rd floor windows. 3-storey angle turret to NE rising from 4th floor.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical. Near-central aediculated doorpiece with 2 pairs of polished granite Ionic columns, stylised keystone inscribed '1901' with scrolled pediment above flanked by modern shopfronts. Above, 2-bay section flanked by rusticated pilasters with 'ALBERT CHAMBERS' inscribed between 2nd and 3rd floors. 2 blind balustrade sections between 4th and 5th floors. Flanked by paired 2-bay tripartite canted bay sections with rusticated angle pilasters. Excepting 5th floor where balustraded, tripartite and 4-light windows articulated by Doric columns. Angle turret with scrolled and pedimented windows to 4th and 5th floors, 5-light window to top floor separated by columns and surmounted by open balustrade.

E ELEVATION: 2 projecting sections flanking courtyard. Section to left, 6-storey 3-bay harled with deep base course. Section to right, 6-storey 2-bay squared and snecked red sandstone with ground floor deepening southwards to accommodate slope of site. Courtyard bays arranged 4-3-5 from left, with 1-bay section in re-entrant angle to S. White glazed bricks.

S ELEVATION: 6-storey harled, part-obscured by building to SW. Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows with horns to N elevation. Replacement windows to courtyard and S elevation.

INTERIOR: substantially altered. Cast-iron columns remain at ground floor. Some plain cornices beneath false ceilings in offices. Original lift and lift shaft by John Bennie of Glasgow extant (not in use).

Statement of Special Interest

A distinctive and imposing building within the Bath Street streetscape following the tradition of many of Glasgow's Chambers. The Dean of Guild plan shows that the intended use for the basement was a cellar and warehouses, with warehouses and shops on the ground floor and warehouses and offices on the upper floors.

References

Bibliography

Mitchell Library, DEAN OF GUILD PLAN, ref 17921 (1900). Ordnance Survey Map (1908-11). Williamson et al, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND - GLASGOW (1990) p212.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 11, 13 AND 15 BATH STREET, ALBERT CHAMBERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 04:33