Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

RAILWAY AND FOOT BRIDGE OVER FORMER MONKLAND CANAL (WEST BRIDGE) INCLUDING ACCESS STAIR BUILDINGLB49873

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
11/06/2004
Local Authority
North Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
North Lanarkshire
Burgh
Coatbridge
NGR
NS 72948 65061
Coordinates
272948, 665061

Description

Caledonian Railway Company and Brandon Bridge Company, Motherwell, 1898. Cast-iron, mild steel and masonry railway bridge. Parallel plate girders; doubled in depth over canal. Lattice steel parapet (C-section members). Rusticated red sandstone ashlar and droved ashlar piers with polished ashlar cutwaters. Rusticated ashlar terminals with cornice and pyramidal capstones.

FOOTBRIDGE through W side of piers; round-arched openings through piers, lattice steel sides and steel overhead arch ties.

ACCESS STAIR BUILDING TO N: Red brick with piended slate roof, segmental-arched windows, glazed brick band course at eaves. Blocked doors to platform and lower level.

Statement of Special Interest

Along with other railway bridge adjacent to Main Street (see separate listing), this bridge forms a gateway to the town centre and is one of the defining elements of the urban and industrial landscape of Coatbridge. Railways were particularly important to the coal and iron industries around Coatbridge, which came to be known as 'The Crewe of the North.'

The footbridge is an interesting and attractive part of the composition. The bridge was completed on the 2nd of November 1898 and replaced a narrower bridge erected circa 1842. The work also involved the removal of the piers, which had interfered with traffic on Bank St. This bridge served the Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge railway line south to Wishaw. The Glasgow to Garnkirk Railway was opened in 1831 and extended East to Gartsherrie and South to Whifflet from 1844.

References

Bibliography

AIRDRIE AND COATBRIDGE ADVERTISER (1897-1898). Drummond and Smith, COATBRIDGE: THREE CENTURIES OF CHANGE, 1984. The Scottish Record Office, THE SCOTTISH RAILWAY STORY (1992) p35. Moir, COATBRIDGE (2001).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to RAILWAY AND FOOT BRIDGE OVER FORMER MONKLAND CANAL (WEST BRIDGE) INCLUDING ACCESS STAIR BUILDING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/07/2019 14:06