Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 70859 57256
370859, 757256



1881, designed by W R Galbraith, built by Sir William Arrol. 16-span viaduct (total length 440m) of latticed wrought iron girders with slight convex curve to each span, supported on 15 pairs of cross-braced cylindrical piers made of riveted wrought iron plates. To SW end, brick abutment with rectangular piers clasping iron structure; sandstone copes and band course; short sloping wing wall to E, longer canted sloping wing wall to W. To NE end, brick abutment with rectangular piers clasping iron structure; sandstone copes and moulded band course.


1879, Sir Thomas Bouch. 17-span slightly curved brick viaduct; semicircular arches on slightly battered rectangular piers; A92 road runs beneath southernmost arch. Red brick (replaced with newer, matching brick in several areas), predominantly English bond; roughly tooled stone band course above arches, low parapet with plain metal railings; to W side of southmost arch, to band course, small raised shield bearing initials, possibly 'RIN' and dated 1879. Various reinforcement plates, applied predominantly regularly; railway track reinforcement applied to soffit of northmost arch. To E side of S end, sloping stone coped wing wall.

Statement of Special Interest

The South Esk Viaducts were built as part of the North British Arbroath and Montrose Railway; the Act for the establishment of the line received its Royal assent in 1871. However, the commencement of construction was delayed for several years by the slow progress of the Tay Bridge and the Dundee end of the line.

Construction of the South Esk Viaducts began in 1879 to the designs of Sir Thomas Bouch, the engineer who designed the ill-fated first Tay Bridge, which famously collapsed on the 28th of December 1879, killing 75 passengers. Following the disaster, there were great concerns that the weaknesses that caused the failure of the Tay Bridge might also be present in the iron viaduct at Montrose. The worries were well founded; Bouch's plans showed a straight bridge yet the bridge as constructed had a distinct curve, and many of the piers were noticeably out of the perpendicular. In 1880 the iron viaduct was subjected to vigorous tests over a 36 hour period, using both dead and rolling loads. At the end of the test period, the structure was seriously distorted and pronounced to be unsafe. The southerly brick approach viaduct was retained. The existing replacement for the northmost viaduct was designed by W. R. Galbraith, a consulting engineer. The wrought iron lattice girder construction of the viaduct is based on designs developed by Sir John Macneill and James Thomson in the 1830s and 40s. The design was widely used by Victorian engineers, until rendered obsolete by the introduction of other American truss designs in the 1880s. South Esk Viaduct at Montrose was probably the last major bridge in the United Kingdom to be built with this type of bracing.

The brick viaduct, also known as Inchbrayock Railway Viaduct, is partly situated in Craig Parish, and was formerly listed in that parish (originally listed 15.01.1980, upgraded to B 20.01.89).




About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to RAILWAY VIADUCTS OVER SOUTH ESK RIVER

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/06/2024 10:12