Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

124 MAIN STREET, BURGH CHAMBERSLB49833

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020 - (see notes)
Date Added
27/04/2004
Local Authority
East Renfrewshire
Planning Authority
East Renfrewshire
Burgh
Barrhead
NGR
NS 50226 58892
Coordinates
250226, 658892

Description

McWhannell and Rogerson, 1902. Free Scots Renaissance 2-storey 2-bay crowstep-gabled burgh building. Fluted pilastered entrance to centre with Barrhead coat of arms above; timber 2-leaf door with iron studs, decorative locks and hinges; flanking bipartite windows. Large pilastered key-blocked round-arched window to 1st floor R with datestone '1902' above; mullioned and transomed bipartite window to L with strapwork above. Coursed, bull-faced red sandstone with polished ashlar dressings.

Timber sash and case windows (some leaded upper sashes). Grey slate roofs with terracotta ridge tiles; tall stacks and clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen (2004).

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Burgh Court Hall (separately listed). Barrhead was created a police burgh in 1894. The eclectic and exuberant style of the Burgh Chambers and Court in distinctive red sandstone set the buildings apart from the other traditional buildings that survive in Main Street. Built as a pair with a lane between for access to the rear, the two buildings are linked by wrought-iron gates with thistle and lion rampant motifs.

Ninian McWhannell and John Rogerson designed schools, police buildings, and the Royal Samaritan Hospital for Women in Glasgow, sometimes with Arts and Crafts or Art Nouveau flourishes. The partnership also built the Masonic Temple in Barrhead of 1910 (separately listed).

References

Bibliography

Marked on 3rd edition OS map of 1910. Frank Arneil Walker SOUTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1986) p43.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 124 MAIN STREET, BURGH CHAMBERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2019 17:53