Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

44 SOUTH STREET, TURF TAVERNLB49719

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
31/03/2004
Local Authority
Falkirk
Planning Authority
Falkirk
Burgh
Bo'Ness
NGR
NS 99863 81634
Coordinates
299863, 681634

Description

Thomas Peattie, Knowe Park, Bo'ness, reconstructed 1900. 2-storey, 3-bay public house with Jacobean detail, on corner site. Stugged ashlar with ashlar dressings. Ground floor and eaves cornice, panelled blocking course with anthemion finials and broken ball-finialled pediment. Roll-moulded door; shouldered openings to ground W and 1st floor, latter also architraved and tabbed with moulded aprons. Fielded pilasters with circular detail.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-leaf panelled timber door and deep plate glass fanlight to left of centre, 2 large display windows to centre and right and regular fenestration to 1st floor with relief date to carved shield between centre and right bays.

NW (CORNER) ELEVATION: broad 2-leaf panelled timber door with deep plate glass fanlight at ground and single window at 1st floor surmounted by dominant pediment.

W ELEVATION: panelled timber door with deep plate glass fanlight in bay to right of centre at ground with window to left, regular fenestration to 1st floor.

E ELEVATION: windows to centre and left bays at 1st floor.

Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case window to ground W, uPVC glazing to 1st floor. Flat roof. Cavetto-coped ashlar stacks with some cans.

INTERIOR: decorative plasterwork cornice, cast-iron column, 2-leaf screen doors, linenfold dadoes and reveals to bar.

Statement of Special Interest

Reconstruction of The Turf Tavern was carried out for James Aitken of Falkirk. Plans showing a centre door and large horseshoe bar were rejected in favour of the above-described layout, with a jug bar accessed from the South Street (N) elevation. Nearly free standing, the design boasts typical late Victorian detailing and a notable wallhead display making a significant contribution to the streetscape.

References

Bibliography

Gifford and Walker STIRLING AND CENTRAL SCOTLAND (2002), p 267. DEAN OF GUILD RECORDS Ref 29/1900.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 44 SOUTH STREET, TURF TAVERN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/01/2022 09:01