Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 99801 81627
299801, 681627


John Taylor, dated 1934. Single storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan terrace of small shops closing irregular terrace to W. Ashlar dividing piers and dressings; lined render. Frieze/fascia and eaves cornice rising into stepped and pedimented blocking course at centre.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Centre bay with in-canted 2-leaf part-glazed timber door, 3-part fanlight and tiled doorstep flanked by fixed display windows with multi-pane top-lights and surmounted by painted fascia and flanking stylised capitals giving way to blocking course with relief carved panel worded 'ANDERSON BEQUEST' surmounted by semicircular pediment with small carved panel. Shop in penultimate bay to left with in-canted part-glazed timber door and 2-part fanlight to right and fixed display window with multi-pane top-lights to left, this mirrored by shop to outer left; bays to right mirror those to left.

E ELEVATION: blank gabled elevation, rendered and lined.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: asymmetrically-fenestrated elevation.

Fixed display windows. Graded grey slates. Harled stacks with cans to rear.

INTERIOR: No 28 retains timber panelling and etched glass to display window access.

Statement of Special Interest

Unusual retention of original shopfronts combined with some interior detail raise this short terrace of shops above the margin for listing. One of a number of 'Anderson Bequest' buildings in the town funded by the legacy of ship owner and banker John Anderson (1794 - 1870). In 1859 the Duke and Duchess of Hamilton were entertained aboard one of Anderson's Greenland whalers berthed in the harbour. Known locally as 'the King of Boness', he also funded the town's first secondary school.




About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 24 - 32 (EVEN NOS) SOUTH STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/01/2022 08:57