Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000020 - SEE NOTES
Date Added
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
NT 42494 74991
342494, 674991


Earlier 19th century. Single storey, 3-bay, square-plan gate lodge (almost certainly a re-working of an earlier lodge, retaining late 18th century porch); earlier and mid 20th century additions to S (side) and E (rear). Freestone rubble; ashlar dressings (tooled on later alterations); stone cills. Earlier to mid 19th century rubble outbuilding to E (along boundary wall) with lean-to corrugated iron roof.

W (DRIVEWAY) ELEVATION: central grey ashlar broken pedimented porch; chamfered arrises to door jambs; narrow windows on return. Windows to outer bays.

S ELEVATION: 2 windows, that to right (inserted later) with concrete surround.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: rendered flat-roof additions; long glazed sunroom to far right; large box dormer.

N ELEVATION: central window.

INTERIOR: no original features remaining (2003).

Timber sash and case windows with 6-pane upper cases, 2-pane lowers. Exposed rafters to grey slate roof; small Velux window to W elevation. Corniced cement-rendered end stacks.

QUADRANT AND GATEPIERS: stugged grey sandstone ashlar quadrant with ashlar coping to W of lodge. Square-plan, pyramidal capped ashlar gatepiers.

Statement of Special Interest

B-group with St Germains House, Coach House, Cottage and Dovecot. An earlier lodge would probably have been built during the late 18th century when additions were being made to the earlier 18th century St Germains House. There was also an additional West Lodge facing [demolished]. The present lodge is most likely a remodelling of the earlier lodge however retaining the earlier classical porch. The East Lodge forms an integral part of the former St Germains estate which developed on the site of the Bethlehemite Hospital.



W Forrest, MAP OF HADDINGTONSHIRE (1799) [lodge appears]. J Thomson, ATLAS OF SCOTLAND (1822). 1st edition ORDNANCE SURVEY map (1854). J Small, CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF THE LOTHIANS (1883). C McWilliam, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: LOTHIAN (EXCEPT EDINBURGH) (1978), p421 [refers to estate of St Germains

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST GERMAINS, EAST LODGE WITH OUTBUILDING, QUADRANT AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/01/2021 22:08