Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
NX 97527 76059
297527, 576059


1872; alterations John Bowie, 1907. 7-bay, near-rectangular, Gothic former school (now church hall) with traceried window to S gable, gabletted, shouldered, angle buttresses, semi-octagonal stair towers with cast-iron cross finials to E and W elevations, pointed-arch windows and gabletted vents to roof. 3-bay, 2-storey, attic and basement presbytery to N end. Squared, snecked sandstone with droved and polished ashlar dressings. Hoodmoulds to windows of gable and stair towers; hoodmould of ground floor window of stair towers continued as string course. Bays divided by shouldered buttresses.

S ELEVATION: former entrance (now walled-up) to centre with roll-moulded pointed-arch surround, elongated pilasters and traceried fanlight; flanking bipartite pointed-arch windows with crocketted Y-tracery; large, geometric-traceried window above with ball-stops to hoodmould. Gabletted skews; cross-finial to gable apex.

E ELEVATION: 2 slightly advanced shouldered chimney breasts flanking stair tower (stacks removed). 2 lancet windows to left of tower; 3 Y-traceried bipartite windows to right of tower.

W ELEVATION: replacement timber boarded doors to stair tower and outer-right bay. Slightly advanced chimney breast with stack to right of tower; blind bays to left of tower with late 20th century addition to outer left.

Diamond-pane leaded lights. Coped stacks with short yellow clay cans to presbytery. Graded grey slate; ashlar-coped skews.

INTERIOR OF HALL: timber panelling to dado. Splayed window jambs. Former timber panelled balcony at S end (now walled in to ceiling) supported on cast-iron columns. Timber floorboards. False ceiling.

BOUNDARY WALL, RAILINGS AND GATEPIERS: ashlar-coped snecked sandstone boundary wall surmounted by gothic-arched decorative cast-iron railings. Plain ashlar gatepiers with cushion-caps to centre (gateway walled up); single gabletted gothic gatepier to outer right with carved stonework depicting shepherd's crook and bishop's mitre.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Towers of Old St Andrews Cathedral, Shakespeare Street (HBNUM 26342). Occupies a prominent position on Brooke Street, and is of importance to the streetscape. This former school building, which was also intended to be used for lectures and other entertainments, was erected following the 1872 Education Act, when the previous school building was found to be inadequate (the previous school has since been demolished, but its belfry still stands, and is listed as "Towers of Old St Andrews Cathedral, Shakespeare Street"). The cost of this new school was borne by Lord Herries. The school was taught by the teaching Order of the Marist Brothers, and the presbytery adjacent to the hall was originally built for them to live in.



Appears on 1893 OS Town Plan Of Dumfries, marked as "School, Boys". Dumfries Dean of Guild plans, for additions, 14 October 1907 (ref MP118/269-271) (not seen). W McDowell, HISTORY OF DUMFRIES, 4th edition, 1986, p754. John Gifford, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY, p243.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BROOKE STREET, ST ANDREW'S CHURCH HALL WITH BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/01/2020 13:42