There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 18/12/2003
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Crossmichael
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NX 77614 63488
- Coordinates: 277614, 563488
Group of predominantly later 19th century structures in grounds of Urr Valley Hotel (formerly Ernespie House).
DOVECOT: predominantly 19th century, incorporating earlier material. Circular-plan 3-stage dovecot with later narrow pointed windows and corbelled crenellated parapet. Random rubble with red brick banding, and brick parapet. Low entrance to N; small lancet windows, some with tile edging; alighting ledge; flight holes; corbelled parapet with coped crenellations. Stone nesting boxes to interior.
WATER TOWER: later 19th century. Squat, square-plan battered water tower with crenellated parapet (concealing tank). Random sandstone rubble with red sandstone ashlar dressings. Rusticated long and short quoins. Semicircular-arched entrance to S with tapered chamfer to rusticated quoins and roll-moulded hoodmould; 3 false arrow-slits to S and W.
WALLED GARDEN: probably late 18th with later C19th alterations. Flat-coped random rubble walls with central doorways (bricked up) to N, S and W; wall to E partly replaced by low wall and railings to form concave semicircle.
GARDEN TERRACES AND STEPS: to W, NW and SW of house. Series of raised and sunken terraces with flights of stone steps. Decorative urns flanking steps and at some corners of terraces.
Statement of Special Interest
As a group these separate elements form an interesting designed landscape. The first edition OS map shows clumps of trees surrounding the garden in all directions, which suggests that the estate originally had a small park. The present arrangement of terraces to the W of the house first appears on the 2nd edition OS map (circa 1900), and probably dates from the 1860s or '70s. The walled garden, which probably dates from late 18th century, is shown as plain rectangle on the 1st edition OS map, and was probably altered to its present state at the same time as the terraces were built. The water tower, which is still used to hold the hotel?s water supply, was probably built at the same time as the rear extension of the house (circa 1860), as the stone is very similar. The dovecot shows evidence of at least two phases of building, as the upper section has distinct bands of red brick running through it, which are absent nearer the ground. The crenellated parapet and windows are later additions, and are probably contemporary with the water tower. Although the nesting boxes have been rebuilt inside the dovecot, it is likely that it was intended more for decorative effect than any practical use, because the positioning of the windows would make it very easy for rats, and other predators, to climb in.
Ernespie House (now the Urr Valley Hotel), probably dates from the mid-late eighteenth century, although it is likely that an earlier house existed. It has been tentatively suggested that an earlier house may have been situated on the raised terrace to the south of the walled garden. The house has been altered and added to several times during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, but is important because it forms the context for the items mentioned in this list.
Appears on 1857 OS map, alterations shown 2nd edition OS map (circa 1900).
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.