Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

COLINTON ROAD, REDFORD INFANTRY BARRACKS WITH OFFICERS' MESS, ALMA HOUSE, GUARD HOUSE, FORMER BAND BLOCK, FORMER SERGEANTS' MESS, GATES, GATEPIERS AND OTHER ANCILLARY BUILDINGSLB49560

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: B
  • Group Category Details: B - See Notes
  • Date Added: 19/12/1979

Location

  • Local Authority: Edinburgh
  • Planning Authority: Edinburgh
  • Burgh: Edinburgh

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NT 22232 69277
  • Coordinates: 322232, 669277

Description

Harry B Measures, 1911-1917. Infantry Barracks with main Barrack Block (Building 80), Officers Mess (Building 64), Alma House (Commanding Officer's House, Building 61), Guard House (Building 60), Gates and Gatepiers, Former Band Block (Building 68), Former Sergeant's Mess (Building 79), Store (Building 76-77) and Building 78. Colonial Free Style buildings of coursed bull-faced rubble with pale ashlar dressings; less important buildings rendered. All buildings with long and short quoins and window margins; most buildings with cill and lintel courses and projecting sandstone cills.

All buildings with graded grey slate and ashlar-coped skews.

BARRACK BLOCK (BUILDING 80): 4-storey, 57-bay, square, double-courtyard plan, symmetrical building. 5-bay frontispiece with triple arcaded balconies and octagonal copper-domed turrets. Long flanking wings; 2 2-bay advanced sections to each wing with semicircular pediments and advanced dormered roofs; advanced 3-bay gabled sections to penultimate bays with semicircular pedimented windows to gable apexes. Ground floor with alternating wide and narrow round-arched, key-blocked windows and doors. Channeled ashlar to ground floor; base course, string courses to all floors, eaves course. Principal entrance in frontispiece through large depressed arch; slightly recessed 3-bay, 3-storey section above with arcaded balconies; bell-cast, leaded half-roof above balconies; large pediment-gable rising behind, with clock and flanking nook-shafts. 2-bay outer sections to frontispiece topped by octagonal copper-domed lanterns with tall round-arched windows and flanking mini-turrets. Side elevations similarly fenestrated and with 2 advanced bays with arcaded balconies. Single-storey to rear, irregularly fenestrated with later alterations; tall, tapered, corniced chimney to centre. Harled walls to all courtyard elevations.

Predominantly timber sash and case windows with small-pane glazing in upper sashes and 2-pane glazing in lower sashes; timber casements at ground floor.

OFFICER'S MESS (BUILDING 64): 3-storey, 25-bay L-plan block with nook-shafted advanced gables to centre and ends and advanced section at ground with lean-to roof and advanced single-storey square-plan pavillions at ends. 2-leaf, half-glazed timber panelled door in rusticated aediculed doorway with semicircular pediment; central 3-bay gable behind with oculus window and flanking ball finials. Tripartite casements at ground floor; paired windows to upper floors. Diocletian windows and blocking course to square pavilions; 4-bay end gables with central advanced stacks. SE (rear) elevation with central round-arched key-blocked doorway and flanking windows; large canted bays at ground; oculus to central gable and diocletian windows to end gables; regular fenestration with windows in groups of 3.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to upper floors; diamond-pane glazing in timber casements to ground floor at front; plate glass casements with small-paned uppers at ground to SE elevation. Heavily corniced stacks with clay cans.

ALMA HOUSE (BUILDING 61): 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, irregular-plan house with piended roof and advanced gables. Slit windows to gable apexes. NE elevation with advanced gables to outer bays; tripartite windows to both floors. Advanced bell-cast roofed porch to left of central bay; cat-slide roof recessed behind with 6-light dormer at 1st floor and tripartite dormer to attic. Scullery outshot from NW elevation. Advanced central gable to SW (garden) elevation, with advanced 5-light box bay at ground and quadripartite window above. Plate glass in timber casements. Plain stacks with short red clay cans.

GUARD HOUSE (BUILDING 60): single-storey and attic, 3-bay building with advanced canopy supported on cast-iron columns and 2-bay flat-roofed wing to side. Central door with 6 windows to left; 2 large gabled dormers to attic with diocletian windows. 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows.

GATEPIERS AND GATES: cylindrical gatepiers with ball caps and arcaded detail below cornice. Flanking curved walls with flat coping between raised corniced piers with ball caps. 2-leaf cast-iron gates and pedestrian gates to sides.

BAND BLOCK (BUILDING 68): 2-storey, 23-bay, rectangular-plan building with central advanced gabled bays to NW and SE. Regular fenestration with bipartite windows in 5th bays from right and left; round-arched doorways in penultimate bays from central gable (NW elevation only); tripartite Diocletian window at 1st floor of central gables. Eaves course. Timber sash and case windows with small pane glazing in upper sashes and 2-pane glazing in lower sashes.

FORMER SERGEANTS' MESS (BUILDING 79): single-storey, 6-bay, asymmetrical-plan building with piend-roofed section to S and flat-roofed section to N. Eaves course; blocking course to flat-roofed section. SW (principal) elevation: piended bay recessed to right; advanced tripartite central bay with scrolled, finialled pediment; paired windows to each side. Flat-roofed bay advanced to left with 3 windows. 2-leaf timber door with small-pane glazed fanlight in advanced porch to NW elevation. Timber transomed casements with 6-pane glazing to upper lights and 4-pane glazing to lower lights.

STORE (BUILDING 76 AND 77): single-storey, L-plan building. Harled. Irregular fenestration of doors and windows. Tapered, coped stacks with short red clay cans.

BUILDING 78: possibly former gymnasium. 2-storey, 7-bay rectangular plan building with Dutch gables, large windows to upper storey and flat-roofed outshots at ground to SW and NE. Rendered. Base course, eaves cornice. Gable ends divided with 4 plain pilasters; Diocletian window above eaves course; scrolled consoles to skew ends. Chimney stack to SW between 2nd and 3rd windows from left. 4-pane glazing in casements at ground; 4-pane glazing in tripartite timber transomed and mullioned windows at upper floor.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Cavalry Barracks. Harry B Measures was the first (and only) holder of a new civilian post, Director of Barrack Construction, which was created in 1904 in order to free the Royal Engineers for other, more military, duties. When it was built, Redford Barracks was not only the largest Barracks to be built in Scotland since Fort George, but also the best equipped and most advanced barracks in Britain, incorporating all the latest developments in training and accommodation. Together with Sandhurst College, it marks the culmination of barracks building and reflects the military confidence of Britain at that time. The magnitude of the building programme was so great that the builders, Colin MacAndrew Ltd, built their own railway to transport materials from the main line at Slateford. The Infantry Barracks were built to alleviate the cramped conditions at Edinburgh Castle. The Barrack block was built with an unusual roof construction using concrete beams, to which the slates were nailed directly.

References

Bibliography

Appears on 1932 OS map. Scottish Civic Trust, HISTORIC BUILDINGS AT WORK (1983), p143. Gifford, McWilliam & Walker, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: EDINBURGH, pp517-8. Douet, BRITISH BARRACKS 1600-1914 (1998), p189.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Printed: 29/09/2016 14:34