Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 28477 6963
328477, 706963


Probably by Robertson & Orchar, circa 1864. 2-storey, 16-bay former linen works. Long, ordered elevation with regular fenestration broken by 2 segmentally arched cart entrances. Squared and snecked stugged sandstone with rusticated ashlar masonry to quoins, arched cart entrance surrounds and vertical margins which define the first and last 3 bays. Flush droved long and short surrounds to windows. Ashlar eaves course and cornice. Further sandstone rubble buildings attached to rear.

EAST (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical elevation with entrance door at 5th bay. Curb stones to cart entrances. Regular fenestration to each bay.

SOUTH ELEVATION: 2 bays at 2-storeys, long single storey sandstone rubble shed attached.

WEST ELEVATION: masked by recent extension.

NORTH ELEVATION: 2-bay. Complex of rubble sandstone and slated engine and boiler house with large arched openings, some signs of fire damage. Octagonal brick chimney, now truncated, rises from base cornice. Further modern (20th century) additions.

2-leaf timber entrance door to principal elevation, 4-pane fanlight. Fanlights above cart entrances. Predominantly 10-pane lying pane timber windows (fixed with top hopper to factory, sash and case to office 1st floor S); some blocked. Piended slate roofs with regularly placed cast-iron roof lights to north-lit weaving sheds. Modern (20th century) rendered stack to S replaces original stone stack.

INTERIOR: partially seen (2003). Timber floor, cast-iron columns supporting 1st floor.

GATE PIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: pair of square-plan, rusticated ashlar gate piers to S. Corniced cap with missing finials. Wrought-iron gates with scroll detail. Rubble boundary wall continues southwards to North Street. Low rubble stone wall curves northwards from N elevation with paired squat rubble piers (one missing).

Statement of Special Interest

In use as a Linen Works until around the time of the Second World War. Recently used as a mushroom factory. Important as a reminder of the once prominent linen industry in Fife and notable for its little altered principal elevation. Groups with the contemporary workers housing at North Street and Eden Valley Row. Hand loom weaving at home was the principal occupation in Freuchie until it was superceded by the power loom factory. A similar factory (demolished late 20th century) existed nearby at the Pleasance, Falkland. Robertson & Orchar (the latter a Provost and art collector), Wallace Foundry, Dundee, designed and built complete factories that contained their products, principally jute and linen power looms, along with all the mill wright work. They included accomplished architectural draughtsmen who designed most of the linen factories in Dunfermline (eg Canmore, Victoria, and St Margarets Works), East Wemyss, Forfar, Kirriemuir and Perth, besides several in Dundee.



A J Warden, THE LINEN TRADE ANCIENT AND MODERN (second edition, 1867). 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (1893-1896). J Gifford, FIFE - BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND (1988) p229.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FREUCHIE, EDEN VALLEY ROW, FORMER EDEN VALLEY LINEN WORKS INCLUDING GATE PIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/10/2023 01:22