Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ROYAL BOTANIC GARDEN, ARBORETUM PLACE, INVERLEITH ROW, INVERLEITH TERRACE AND INVERLEITH PLACE, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, RAILINGS AND GATESLB49217

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000019 - (see NOTES)
Date Added
04/06/2003
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24402 75276
Coordinates
324402, 675276

Description

Corniced gatepiers and gates to West Gate, circa 1876; gatepiers and gates to East Gate; boundary wall and railings around garden. The Head Gardener's Cottage at the East Gate is listed separately.

WEST GATE: semicircular entrance forecourt (see Notes); 4 ashlar gatepiers with corniced caps, base course and string course; 2-leaf spear-headed cast-iron gates to carriage entrance; single gates to flanking pedestrian entrances.

BOUNDARY WALLS: spear-headed cast-iron railings on dwarf boundary wall to Arboretum Place, Inverleith Terrace and part of Inverleith Place. Round-coped random rubble boundary wall to the back gardens of Inverleith Row.

EAST GATE: Outer Gate: 1934, stop-chamfered ashlar gatepiers with corniced caps and acanthus leaf carved detail; flanking coped wall; 2-leaf wrought-iron gates (probably by Thomas Hadden & Co) with rhododendron flower and foliage details; decorative wrought-iron railings above flanking wall with leaf details. Inner Gate: gatepiers circa 1925 with 2-leaf carriage entrance and flanking footgates; coped ashlar with stepped-detail over footgates; decorative electroplated stainless steel gates composed of Rhododendron calopytum flowers, by Ben Tindall (architect) and Alan Dawnson (blacksmith), 1996.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with the Gatepiers to Inverleith Park, Head Gardener's Cottage, Inverleith House, 1858 Palm House and 1834 Palm Stove, Linnaeus Monument, 1967 Greenhouse, Caledonian Horticultural Society Hall, and the Laboratory and Lecture Hall Buildings at 20a Inverleith Row. The Royal Botanic Garden is included in the Inventory Of Gardens And Designed Landscapes In Scotland, Site Number 216.

The Royal Botanic Garden moved to Inverleith from its previous location on Leith Walk in 1820. At that date it only occupied the North quarter of the present site, with South Western half forming the garden of Inverleith House and the Eastern quarter belonging to the Royal Caledonian Horticultural Society. Part of the wall that divided the Botanical Garden from the Horticultural Society garden is still standing, and is to be found between the East Gate and the pond. The Horticultural Society garden was purchased by the Botanical garden in 1863, and the Western half of the garden, containing Inverleith House, was purchased in 1876. It is presumed that the West gate, railings and dwarf boundary wall date from this time, or soon after. The original entrance gates to Inverleith House and park still stand in their original position at the junction of Arboretum Place and St Bernard's Row. They are listed separately. The West Entrance forms is directly opposite the East Gate of Inverleith Park (1890), and together they form a rond-point on Arboretum Road. (Gatepiers to Inverleith Park listed separately). According to a brief article in the Edinburgh Evening News, the East gates were erected in 1934.

References

Bibliography

Edinburgh Evening News, Friday 21st May 1934. Botanical Gardens website, www.rbge.org.uk

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ROYAL BOTANIC GARDEN, ARBORETUM PLACE, INVERLEITH ROW, INVERLEITH TERRACE AND INVERLEITH PLACE, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, RAILINGS AND GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/08/2022 03:53